VeggieBoards banner

Sausages [minus the pig guts)

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
After trying some filthy Not-Bacon I was a bit turned off the whole fake-meat biz. But after months of beans, lentils and the like I decided I needed something a bit different and BASIC so I grabbed some vege-snags out of the refrigerated section (Australian supermarket BTW).

I chucked them in the frypan but they need oil or they look really dry and don't get that bbq'd look i.e. burnt.

I was expecting that yucky, tastes like a mouthful of floury goo experience but lo and behold they were yummy. I checked the pack and it looks like they use everything that is put in regular snags except the meat [obviously] plus some soy, so they even smell like real sausages. My dad couldn't tell the difference, which was funny because as soon as I told him he spat it out (psycho-sematic, anyone?)

The brand is Longa Life and they come plain or curried (pk 6). They are pretty expensive though considering you get 6 for $4.80 (AUD) and meat ones are like $2.00+ for almost a dozen.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

The brand is Longa Life and they come plain or curried (pk 6). They are pretty expensive though considering you get 6 for $4.80 (AUD) and meat ones are like $2.00+ for almost a dozen.
I like that brand. They also have Veggie Hot Dogs (vegan), the same number for the same price.

When cooking any 1 of the 3 varieties I usually poke a few holes in the pack and boil them for a couple of minutes in water (when I fry them I always manage to get some stuck to the frying pan). I've also tried them under a grill; they needed constant attention though.

#4 ·
The only fake sausages I've tried are the Boca bratwursts. My family is of German heritage and every summer my dad does a "wurst fest" on the grill...3 or 4 kinds of sausages, saurkraut, spaetzle, the works. I couldn't do wurst fest for 2 years until I found those Boca brats.

#7 ·
I LOVE the MorningStar sausages, it is one of the very few fake meats I have tried that i actually like

I don't know if it's vegan or not. I'm not vegan (yet) so i don't check the ingredients.

I tried the Yves sausages and almost puked. They taste like burned plastic. (Wondering how i know what burned plastic tastes like? don't ask.
)

#8 ·
Gardenburger brand veg breakfast sausage patties are really good. They're vegan and darn it if they don't taste a little too realistic.

I added them to some gumbo and they held their shape/texture pretty well for an extended period of time in all of that liquid (I did "fry" them first, dry, non-stick skillet).

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

I like that brand. They also have Veggie Hot Dogs (vegan), the same number for the same price.

When cooking any 1 of the 3 varieties I usually poke a few holes in the pack and boil them for a couple of minutes in water (when I fry them I always manage to get some stuck to the frying pan). I've also tried them under a grill; they needed constant attention though.
I'm going shopping tomorrow I'll grab some of their not-dogs. Have you tried their fake chicken? I'm a bit suss about those but I might give them a go.

And suprise, suprise Sanitarium own the Longa Life brand!

Actually has anyone tried their wheat gluten chunks/pieces in gravy? Eww the ones I had taste horrible. I found some lentils in savoury gravy that Sanitarium make and they make a good 'not-Meat Pie'.

#10 ·
hmmm, i've had the curry ones i think, good 4 babrbies with friends, but haven't ever tried the hot dog ones because i never much liked the meaty ones either...

but hey, only live once, i'll give em a go, maybe even 2morrow...

comfort food for the verging-on-snow here in orange...

mmm... hot dogs.... omni hubby will probbaly like the idea too....

a rarity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.