VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belonged to this forum yeeaaarrsss ago, but my old username doesn't work. It must expire after at least a year or something
(I'm formally Flurry I think).

Anyway...

I'm going to a vegetarian bbq on the weekend. I plan on bringing vegan chocolate cupcakes (yummy!) and I'd like to make a salsa for the first time since 7th grade lol.

I planned on using this recipe: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/honussalsa.htm

The grocery store didn't have scallions, so I bought green onion. It also didn't have fresh oregano. I have all of the other ingredients. I want to know if there was anything else I could add in place of the oregano. What else could I add to make this a yummy salsa?

Besides chips, what else could I serve this with?

Also, what could I top the vegan cupcakes with? I saw some recipes for a glaze or icing, but they call for vegan margarine, which I cannot purchase around here.

I'm moving to a vegetarian/vegan friendly city at the end of the month. I'M SO EXCITED, can't you tell?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
welcome back

salsa is great bc it is so versatile. FYI scallions are green onions. and you can use dried oregano if you wanted just don't use as much as the recipe calls for bc dried herbs are stronger than fresh.

some great additions to salsa are diced mango, black beans, roasted corn, chipotle peppers

do you ever seen jicama in your markets? its a root that is round and light brown with a crispy white inside, kinda like a huge water chestnut. it makes a great "chip" for dipping into salsa, just peel it and slice into discs or triangles. bell peppers can also be used to dip into salsa.

as for the cupcakes you can make a simple chocolate glaze by melting chocolate with a little bit of coconut oil or other oil then drizzle on top of cupcakes, to thicken this mix it with a some powdered sugar and it will make more a thick frosting. for regular frosting you can use coconut oil instead of margarine as well, be sure to use refined oil bc the unrefined tastes like coconut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of jicama but I'll keep my eye out for it when I move.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought of using bell peppers as little salsa scoops.

I got invited to participate in a marine mammal survey the day of the bbq, so right now I'm not even sure if I'll make it
I'll make the salsa for myself anyway

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
you can make a ganache for the topping for the cupcakes if you still need to. Look up a recipe. It's just vegan safe choc chips, and non dairy milk, I'm not sure of the proportion off hand.

Welcome back too!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
You could share your cupcakes with the cetaceans. Or sealions or whatever.

Oh yeah, for the oregano use 1/3 as much dried as fresh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts