VeggieBoards banner

Salad Lovers: Favorite Salads?

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Mental Symphony 
#1 ·
Today I tried my first salad. I had this weird craving for salad, because even if I've never had it I just like the smell and freshness of it, but I don't like crispy uncooked veggies on things like veggie burgers or burritos so I figured I wouldn't like it. My mom finally bought me a container of salad leaves, though, so I decided to try some.

I put some salad on a plate, topped with some chickpeas and olives, and then I poured on Italian Zesty dressing/marinade. I don't know if that's what's usually on a salad, I was unsure about the olives, and I put too much dressing, it really drowned the leaves, but then I tried some, and it's so delicious!

The leaves really soak up the flavor of the dressing well, and the chickpeas and olives were a great addition so I'm glad I added them. I don't have a lot of dressing left, but if I can get some more I'm going to have this again tomorrow, too. The leaves weren't even gross and crunchy, either. The mix says it's greens and radicchio, so maybe those are soft leaves and aren't normal salad mix, but it was good.

So I made this thread because I was wondering what your favorite salads are. Leaves, toppings, dressings, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like mixed greens...olives are a must! (green and black). Chickpeas are a great addition as are black beans and/or red kidney beans. I like tomatoes and avocado in there, too. My new weird dressing is hummus. It started with me making lettuce wraps. One day I was too lazy to make the wraps, so I chopped up everything and mixed in the hummus...it was awesome!

#4 ·
spinach, olives, dried craisins, shredded/chopped beets, sunflower seeds, some type of beans, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, raw corn kernals(sounds weird but its good), roasted red peppers and salsa or hummus as dressing

also spinach, strawberries, blueberries topped with raspberry balsamic vinegar is also great

There are so many variations of salad. I find it to difficult to ever get sick of salad unless it's just plain old iceberg lettuce with a couple slices of cucumber

#6 ·
In high school I used to eat lettuce with mandarin oranges, almonds, and Craisins with Italian dressing. Can't remember the last time I had that though!
Raspberry vinaigrettes are great...unfortunately I got sick after eating a salad with that dressing, so I haven't had it in years

My favorite salad now- and I'm not expecting ANYONE to like this
- is spring mix with jalapenos, lemon pepper, and drizzled with olive oil. I am fully aware that I am not normal

I also like adding chick peas to my salads- really makes them filling!

#7 ·
My favourite is taco salad! It's super easy.

I just use a combination of romaine and spinach leaves, but you could use whatever you like. Then add a bunch of refried beans, guacamole, salsa and crumble some tortilla chips on top. When I make a giant bowl of this stuff I have to fight with my boyfriend to even get any

#10 ·
My favorites:

BBQ Chik'n Salad: Lettuce of choice, Gardein or vegan chicken of choice, vegan BBQ Ranch (easy to make), avocado, beans, corn, cucumbers, tomato.

Sweet Salad: Spring greens, romaine, apples, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, golden raisins, and a fruity vinaigrette.

Heather's Salad: Green leaf lettuce (sliced thin), baked Quorn Chik'n (sliced), cashews, dried cranberries, cubed apples, and lemon poppyseed dressing (the lemon juice MUST be fresh).

#16 ·
I love salads, but most house salads suck. I went to lunch today and had awesome veggie tacos with rice and beans. The beans were probably not healthy and the rice was not great either. The salad was not real green and the dressing was all oil with Something and I did not eat it.

#17 ·
I love me a good salad! I like romaine, shredded carrots, red cabbage, cucumber slices, chick peas, croutons, shredded cheddar cheese and ranch dressing. I also love baby spinach, sliced strawberries, grapes, walnuts, feta or goat cheese with raspberry vinaigrette. Greek salads are good, too. I'll pretty much try any green/veggie salad combo with any type of vinaigrette, though. Cheese is optional--depends on my mood.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

But how do you get that bowl shape? I put tortillas in the oven to make chips but I don't know how to get that bowl form for a salad.
Do you have any oven safe bowls? Maybe you could put a mixing bowl upside down and put the tortilla over it, then cover it with something to keep its shape. I've never done this method before, but it may work.

#21 ·
One of my favorites are: mixed baby green lettuces, sliced strawberries, candied walnuts/ strawberry vinaigrette dressing
Another is: chickpeas, walnuts, drizzled with sunflower/olive oil

#25 ·
If I'm having a salad as a side dish, the simpler the better. But when I'm having it as my main course for dinner, I like to add LOTS of different stuff. I like having a variety of tastes and textures. Tonight my salad contained: lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sauteed green beans, mushrooms, raisins, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, all topped with balsamic vinaigrette. I like the mixture of crisp, soft, chewy, crunchy, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.