VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres already some threads on here about salad BUT heres the thing, i don like many vegetables so i need some ideas that dont have weird veggies in them. I dont like olives, kale, chickpeas, raw peas, beets, radishes... So i need some other ideas. Ive been experimenting. I biught a salad mix from walmart it had walnuts and raisins and craisens in it and raspberry vinagrette. That was good but incant eat it every day.
So any suggestions that are similar to that would be good

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I always enjoy a good taco salad. Romaine tossed with southwestern ranch (this has the taco-y taste to it), topped with salsa, crushed tortilla chips, and corn.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Fresh or canned beans? Fruit (apples, grapes, pears, clementines/other mandarin orange types, pomegranate seeds, mango, lemon juice, etc.)? Sprouts, carrots, cucumber, and celery are delicious, too. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnuts. Poppy seeds, sesame seeds. Sesame seed sticks. Pan seared/grilled/baked/whatever seitan, tofu, or tempeh.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
One of the Vegetarian Epicure books has a recipe for a nice greek-style potato salad- "Potato Salad Tzapanos". It's pretty simple: cooked potatoes and carrots, cooled and cubed, with a simple dressing of olive oil, dill leaf, garlic, and lemon juice. If you don't have that book, the local library probably does- it's quite popular, or it was anyway. There are lots of other salad recipes too, but some of them have strange ingredients (by "strange" I mean not so easily available). Potatoes are high in rapidly-absorbed, blood-sugar-spiking starch though. I eat them, but not in as big servings as I would like, and not right before bedtime.

My tossed salads tend to be simple, with romaine lettuce, maybe some other cooked or raw vegetables, and a dressing similar to the one above- oil and citrus.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
One thing I did is to try 1 new vegetable per week, even if I had tried it before and didn't like it. I'd research the most delicious way to cook it and try it--doesn't have to be complicated, roasting, grilling, saute... I vowed to do it with an open mind. I learned to like a lot of new things.

I also learned to like old things I thought I hated. (I grew up with a mother who can't cook. She boiled vegetables until they were falling apart. Yuck, no wonder why I hated most food.)

I've often made salads by walking around the grocery store and buying whatever vegetables or fruits looked the best that day. Plus random herbs, nuts, seeds, croutons, beans and cheeses. And hard boiled eggs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
One of my favorite salads is baby spinach with sliced strawberries and some sunflower seeds thrown on top. Usually with raspberry vinaigrette. A great way to get inspired is just to do a google image search. Just plug in the word "salad" and then click on any pictures that pique your interest! You might get some fun new ideas.

I also keep a variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits in my cupboard to throw on top of whatever salad I might be making. At the moment I have: sliced almonds, tamari almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, and dried cherries. I'll throw pretty much any of that on top of a salad. My dinner salad last night was one of my typical go-to salads: red leaf lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, sliced mushrooms, grape tomatoes, raisins, and sunflower seeds with a balsamic vinaigrette.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts