VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a silly question
It just occurred to me after reading another post where someone mentioned substituting out Caesar salad dressing for something else, that Caesar dressing has anchovies in it
Is this the case for all Caesar, or are some made without it? Is there any way to tell?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

It just occurred to me after reading another post where someone mentioned substituting out Caesar salad dressing for something else, that Caesar dressing has anchovies in it
Is this the case for all Caesar, or are some made without it? Is there any way to tell?
It should list it in the ingredients, but it's best just to avoid it
I'm sure they make dressing without the anchovies for vegetarians, but you'd probably have to go looking for it at a grocery store.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
here is how you can make your own cesar salad dressing

‎115 g. firm tofu (not silken)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 whole garlic clioves, peeled
2-3 tbsp capers, drained
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tso salt
water or olive oil as needed
4 heads Romaine lettuce
2 cups croutons

In the blender or food processor, blend tofu, lemon juice, garlic, capers, nutritional yeast, mustard, pepper and salt. Add water or olive oil as needed to thin out. The consistency should be creamy but not so thich that you can't pour it. Tweak the flavor with the various ingredients to your liking. The dressing can be stored in an airtight container and refrigirated to up for one week.
Tear lettuce into bite sizze pieces, and add to a ;arge bowl. Add the dressing and croutons and toss to combine.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love it thank you! I will definitely try that out
Today I did buy a Caesar that was vegetarian though, Kraft and Renees both make a low fat version which doesn't include anchovies

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I've seen a couple with out, just check out the label. It should be right on there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I decided to go vegetarian a few days before my 26th birthday.

At the restaurant where we were celebrating, I took a bite of caesar salad.
Me: "Ew! This salad has a fishy taste!"
My friends: "Yeah, caesar has anchovies."
Me: :-(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:

I love it thank you! I will definitely try that out
Today I did buy a Caesar that was vegetarian though, Kraft and Renees both make a low fat version which doesn't include anchovies
Krafts Caesar Vinaigrette doesn't have anchovies according to the back of it but it does say Natural Flavorings which could be anything....

Under allergies though they don't put Fish... So I am thinking it doesnt, Kraft hasnt gotten back to me though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most likely, store bought Caesar will NOT contain anchovies or raw egg, which authentic Caesar is supposed to (argh, reconciling my new vegetarianism with my pretentious food snobbery is HARD!!). I would avoid getting Caesar at a higher end restaurant, though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:

At restaurants where they'd make their own, they almost always use raw eggs, dairy, and anchovies. Most chain restaurants and lower-end family restaurants will use prepackaged Caesar (in the big gallon jugs). 9/10 of those will contain anchovies and dairy. If you're looking for a vegan variety, I've seen some at health food stores. Or you can make your own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts