VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Its not labelling things vegan, not exactly smacking doors in our faces. I thought it was lucky for a little while that they did label. i dont shop at sainsburys but when im home for holidays my mum does, not worth a boycott, theres no other supermarket round here (and yeah stuff is usually gone really quick haha). long as they keep labelling stuff vegetarian its back to label reading. i usually shop at tescos and they have never labelled anything vegan! I think the only other place that does is coop and theyre expensive and sell really pointless crap (like bread, i dont want finest quality high grain with added this and that for £3 i want a 50p loaf of bread! poor student here!)

i'll email them but dont think its worth a boycott.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
How very disappointing. Of the three chain stores near us (not counting Tesco), they are by far the most vegan friendly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sainsbury's is my local supermarket, and one I worked for in my dark, distant student days. Anyway I prefer shopping at Tesco's on a purely finantial basis. But JS are by far (IMO) the best major retailer for labelling food veggie/vegan friendly. Made my life alot easier anyway. Not that they're perfect an all...

·
Registered
237 Posts
As a different perspective, I've never relied upon the labelling to tell me what is and what is not "suitable" for my consumption. I've know of instances in the past when products have been labelled as veg*n, when in fact they were not. To me, eliminating the "suitable for veg*n" label forces more consumers to actually look at and learn more about the ingredients in the food they buy. In addition, if I were a packaged food manufacturer, I would be extremely hesitant to label any products as "suitable for veg*ns" for fear of an especially outraged (and litigious) veg*n taking exception to what I call suitable.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
*shrug* most places don't label stuff suitable for vegans.

I don't shop there anyway. Far too expensive. I like Tescos best of all, and I mostly shop at Morrisons because it's close.

11,550 Posts
i don't have a problem with the labels- i don't really even notice them as it is. so i don't think its a huge deal- i read the label on everything i buy anyway, out of habit- to cover my own ass. i'm glad i do, a friend of mine recently bought something labelled 'vegetarian' which had anchovy paste in it (not in sainsburys, not even in england, but still- shows that labels aren't always to be treated as likely to be reliable).

i'd think that the big 'contains egg' and 'contains dairy' bits that they put on the back of the packets for those with allergies and food intollerances (which i believe are becoming more common, perhaps more common than veganism, even?) are at least partially beneficial, as while they often don't cover honey and weird trace ingredients, they're big hints that something is that otherwise looks possibly veggie, is blatently not suitable for vegans- if i was to see those big flags, i'd know not to bother looking at the rest of the ingredients.

i also don't see the benefit in boycotting them- i'd rather continue to shop there as normal, but keep putting a note that says i'm disapointed about the lack of vegan labels, in the customer comments book, and also email them about it. if vegans aren't gonna shop there, i think perhaps they won't be disasterously affected by the lack of trade, but they'll just be less inclined to stock a range things that are especially suitable for us, as a minority group- as there will be no need for them to.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I won't be boycotting either, as I don't really see it as a "slap in the face" or anything. I just enjoyed the convenience. I still read the ingredients list, but the fact that the big V was often on the front of the packaging occasionally grabbed my attention, whereas it might have been something that I otherwise would've passed over (like a pizza crust mix or a ready-made salad).

Is JS = Sainsbury?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
"The store has commented that to provide such information isnt high on their list of priorities and that the reason for removing this information is because the company wishes to provide more space on the packaging for allergy advice."

So I wonder what about the people who are allegic to certain meat products, eggs or dairy?.

Too bad you don't ( I think?) have Hannafords or Price chopper in the UK. Both Hannafords and Price chopper have lots of veg*n foods, though most of it more expensive then omni fare. I think this is typical of all groceries.

Are UK groceries anything like German groceries?. We used to go to Germany every once in a while to care for my omi/ grandma. I seems to recall that the UK was more veg*n friendly then Germany.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
So I wonder what about the people who are allegic to certain meat products, eggs or dairy?.
normally they list something like the top 20 allergens, and i remember sainsburys always listed Eggs, Dairy, Wheat, Corn, Nuts, and Shellfish, for a start. i don't know how common meat allergies are (i've never met anyone but me with one!), but i'd be suprised if they decided to completely wipe out the vegetarian, kosher, and halal labels on stuff.

Quote:
Too bad you don't ( I think?) have Hannafords or Price chopper in the UK. Both Hannafords and Price chopper have lots of veg*n foods, though most of it more expensive then omni fare. I think this is typical of all groceries.
there are places like PriceChopper in the Uk- um.... *trying to remember* lol... Lidls (which is reeeaaallly cheap and i think German- all the food is foreign anyway) KwikSave (which seemed to get a bit more expensive in the past couple years, to me) and Aldi (i think you get Aldi in the states too?) etc. All have plenty of veggie basics.

I actually think that overall, English supermarkets are really really good for vegetarians and vegans- i think i prefer them over Canadian ones for a lot of reasons- and its relative, some of the economy stuff is REALLY cheap- like cans of baked beans for 5p (about 10 cents) and packets of accidently vegan chocolate bourbon biscuits (cream sandwich cookies) for 20p (about 40 cents). i think they're a little more expensive that the US generally for non economy stuff, but i think thats reflected in the cost of living and the wages over there. The quality of produce etc, seems to be a lot higher in england, to me, and even the junk food seems to be less junky to me over there, for a start.

There are a lot of veggie and vegan products in the Uk too- maybe not quite the same amount as on this side of the pond, but its getting that way- stuff like Amy's and Toffutti Cuties have recently popped up over there, and they have WAY better soya-yogurts in england than over here. Also, i find in england they tend to have less stuff with randomly added meat in it- stuff like canned baked beans seems to be veggie by default, etc. Now... if they'd just start importing Earth Balance... i might be tempted to go home, lmao.

Quote:
Are UK groceries anything like German groceries?. We used to go to Germany every once in a while to care for my omi/ grandma. I seems to recall that the UK was more veg*n friendly then Germany.
i've never been in a german grocery store, but ones in the UK do seem pretty similar to french and dutch ones too me- i think lots of stuff is the same everywhere. british supermarkets don't seem to have the really really really huge aisles with massive giant sized cans of everything, and crates of soda, and billions of different breakfast cereals on the shelves, that i find to be commonplace in canada. in england we can buy alcohol (wine, spirits, liquor, beer, etc) off the shelf in the grocery store too- if you're 18+, anyway.

and yep, the Uk is very veggie friendly- way more so than i found france and amsterdam to be- i found that vegetarianism doesn't seem to be so marginalised and 'odd' over there (maybe thats cos i grew up in 'hippy central' though, lmao).

IamJen: yeah, JS is short for J Sainsburys. Mr Sainsbury is/was called John or Jebadiah (maybe Jen?!) or sommit, no doubt.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Eclipse-

i was in germany last summer. the 'organic' labeling has exploded, and in my experience, there's always been a fairly healthy veg* undercurrent. Food labeling laws have drastically changed to mirror to a great degree what I was used to in the US. I saw quite a bit of Veg labeling, maybe because i'm sensitive to it. quite a few 'bio laden', not necessarily veg, but certainly veg friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree that it's not that much of a problem (as I don't shop there anyway) but it does still feel like they're saying "Yeah, vegans aren't really that important to us...there's other people we can make FAR more money out of"

I gave up big supermarkets when I moved to the country. I do the healthfood shop, greengrocers and just pick up the basics from the small Somerfield round the corner. It's saved us a fortune, because although things might be a few pence dearer, we aren't tempted into buying all the special offers which would add loads onto our shopping bill every week. And we're keeping our local market town going too. Which is a nice thing!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The big problem is that where I live, Sainsbury's is the only viable option. What's worse is that I'm a student.

However, there is an Asda. But Asda is poorly managed, and finding a can of beans is a task, as their shelf stackers roll dice to determine where products go.

There is a Morrissons though. However, it's in Morecambe. It takes 23 minutes to cycle from Lancaster to Morecambe. If you don't use the brakes. And it it's raining, then you're buggered.

I guess I'm gonna be forced to put up with sainsbury's.

And I'm really irritated by Sainsbury's at the moment. Jamie Oliver is irritating, and furthermore, they have no own brand chips, and have recently rebranded a product which I purchase frequently in order to charge extra for it. And it must have sold well, because the shelves were often empty of it.

They need more labek space to incorporate allergy information. Why don't they just take off those silly traffic light pie chart things off the front of the packaging? Problem solved. there's more space on the packaging.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Update from Animal Aid:

Quote:
Recently there has been concern that the Sainsbury's supermarket chain was re-considering labelling its products as 'suitable for vegans'. Upon querying a product, a member of the public was told labelling vegan and vegetarian products was not high on its list of priorities and the current vegan and vegetarian information would be removed to provide more space on packaging for allergy advice.

Sainsbury's has now issued an official statement apologising for any confusion and reiterating its policy on vegan labelling as below:

Sainsbury's said: "It is Sainsbury's policy to label products that are suitable for vegans, as 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans', using the Sainsbury's vegetarian and vegan logo.

The only exceptions are those groups of products, which are obviously vegan (and where our vegan customers have indicated that labelling is unnecessary). Examples include plain waters, unseasoned flours, plain fruit and veg. The position of the logo on packs may differ from product to product due to different pack formats and the presence of other key customer messages."

Animal Aid is convinced the above 'clarification' by Sainsbury's clearly illustrates the power of consumer action. As one of the largest supermarket chains in the country, Sainsbury's would have taken a huge step backwards by removing its vegetarian and vegan labelling. This is especially so since an increasing number of people are turning to a non-animal based diet. Many supermarkets and companies have started to print 'suitable for vegans' on their goods and Animal Aid is pleased that Sainsbury's will remain one of these. The extent of labelling, along with the provision of vegetarian and vegan products, is one of the points that will be addressed in our soon-to-be-published report on Britain's most veggie-friendly supermarkets.
http://animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_veggie/ALL/1479//

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.