VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned my front yard into a decorative mulched bed this year. I'm planning edibles that are prettier out there like okra with its big trumpet flowers and love lies bleeding amaranth.

So when I started looking at bulbs to put in for fall this year, I had the same dual purpose hopes in mind. And I found that with saffron crocus. I just ordered enough for a row across the front of the bed from these guys.
I've never actually cooked with saffron, but it would be fun to try and this would be something that would make good gifts for the foodies in your life too.

It might be fun to considering adding a spice to your bulb collection too

Photo by outdoorPDK on Flickr

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I've tried saffron, and its taste is pretty subdued... but you might have a better experience with it because you're growing it fresh. A little goes a long way though, and it does add a nice color to rice.

I've always thought bell pepper and bush squash plants were decorative. But zucchini bush squash keeps trying to take over the world so I don't plant it anymore. I've grown okra too- it's definitely ornamental!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Saffron is sooo expensive too... so if you can grow it yourself that would be a big saving!
Having said that I don't think I actually like saffron, I had a saffron lassi in India. Its a local delicacy and I though it was disgusting..... although I should probably try it with other things before writing it off!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.