VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Safe food" is defined as certain food some people eat everyday or even contribute to most energy intake of the day. Not include food you simply like or thing such as OJ, PB, bread that everybody eat all the time. Usually people who have ED or "problems" about weight/food tend to stick to certain food that they find "safe" after some trials b/c they know the calorie content and/or nutrient info of these food. They are less anxious eating these food and get very nervous about eating other food. However, one has to realize that sticking to very limited selection of food, regardless their nutritious values, is not healthy. First, you don't get as many nutrients as you would with a colorful diet; Second, and more importantly, this is one of the typical ED behaviors that every therapists and ED persons themselves are most familiar about.

FOr those of you who have very clear selection of "safe food", please make a goal to challenge yourself with more varieties and even without looking up the calorie contents. Safe food is hand-in-hand with ED, get rid of them, get out of your little cage, look out, eat up, and go find a better way of kill time than collecting your fingers and toes to count calories.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well calories do matter but people don't have to count calories. Most people do very well without ever counting calories.

For people with problems of being overweight or underweight it may be useful to count calories occasionally to get an idea where they stand. But, I agree that counting calories every day isn't necessary. People with weight problems can just try adjusting their diets/lifestyle and see what happens to their weight over time.

I agree that it's important to get variety in the diet.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Linz, I wrote this thread after reading krista's "I will call you mom to ban the oatmeal from your house". The line between obsessive about food and ED is not as clear as you think. You need, say, five symptoms to be classified to have ED doesn't mean you are ok if you only have two or three symptoms. Be careful, girl, get something else.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Its getting better, freemouse, although I still depend on a bowl of oatmeal when I feel I've overeaten. Oatmeal and cereal. I think I'm going to make an "oatmeal and cereal for breakfast only" rule.

PB is my naughty food, lol!! I eat it everyday, and feel somewhat bad about it. But I'm addicted!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Has Keegan read this? He is ALL ABOUT safe food. If I read cinalife, raison toast, or red beans from a can one more time I'm going to require a straight jacket.

Sorry.

Sorry Keegan.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
Plain cans of beans. Ewww is all I have to say. That is such an anorexic thing to do.

Mine used to be canned pineapple and canned mushrooms. Now, I'll try any food once, and will eat almost any of it again. And once you have oil on beans, you'll never go back!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Oooo, once a month parents prepare us lunch in our room and come take over the class so we can enjoy it in peace...anyway, this wonderful Indian lady who's daughter Somaya is in our class prepared me a vegetarian lunch with the BEST beans I've ever tasted. Very spicy and delicious and OILY! Oh Man is all I have to say. Once you've had spiced Indian red beans swimming in lots of delicious red oil, you will never again try to eat beans out of the can. And that stuff they pack them in...ewwwww. It must start out as water, but it gets kinda...slimy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't see why people shouldn't eat anything anytime. Why shouldn't I eat cereal at lunch time? Actually, I think this is one of society's phobias. In the US, society says that we should eat cereal, bacon and eggs for breakfast. That's nonsense; I eat whatever I feel like eating for breakfast.

And as far as variety goes, I'm sure there are plenty of non-anorexics that don't have much variety of foods in their diets. Not having much variety doesn't make you an anorexic.

Not getting enough variety isn't what causes anorexics bodies to become emaciated; it isn't what puts their life in danger. Not getting enough calories is the real issue.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I believe you are missing the point completely Kyo. People with eating disorders have safe foods - foods that they will eat all the time because of their low calorie and fat content. It is one of the visible symptoms of an eating disorder or an eating dysfunction.

There isn't anything wrong with eating cereal for breakfast. There is something wrong when it's the only thing you eat because you're terrified of fat.

·
Registered
780 Posts
kristadb:

Thanks for making that clear.

Rather than saying that variety is the issue it would be much better to say that avoiding high calorie foods is the issue.

Quite honestly I think that people in this thread are being a bit nitpicky about what other people are eating. There is nothing wrong with eating oatmeal every day and there is nothing wrong with opening up a can of beans and eating it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm guilty of this. My safe foods are mostly made up of celery, carrots, peppers, small smart dogs, salsa, lettuce, and mustard. This sounds gross, according to numerous people, but I eat celery and carrots dipped in mustard occasionally. This week, however, I'm going to try to make Phulka (Basic Indian Bread) or Tagdi Roti (Plain Stuffed Bread), Peele Chaawal (Yellow Rice) or Garike Chaawal (Coconut Rice), and Aloo Matar Rasedaar (Potato and Pea Curry) or Shaljam Aloo Aur Paalak (Turnip, Potato, and Spinach). Should be a change, and add calories for the week, just hope I find all the spices. I'm hoping this doesn't, and it better not, turn in a binge / purge situation. Also, every week or two, I did buy non-safe foods (soy burgers, veggie breakfast patties, one or two Amy's TV dinners, etc,.).

·
Registered
0 Posts
the funny thing is that i was NEVER like this until i got into 'recovery'. my diet has become actually more limited in my recovery. probably because of the part of me that has some brains and does want to get better. i eat cereal ALL the time partly because i know that usually i can't just eat one bowl of cereal, i have to eat 2 or 3. but with a lot of other foods, i just stop eating and feel full a lot faster. my nutritionist knows about this and actually sees it as a good thing because at least i'm eating. but my nutritionist seems to have some funny ideas of what's healthy anyway.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Evanescence: I'm with you on that. I know that I need to be putting on a few more pounds, and I know what I will eat a lot of. Peanut butter, for one. Pasta is another. I know I can sit down with a bucket of spaghetti and I'll probably eat all of it. So, spaghetti three nights in a row is pretty common...

Kyo: We're nitpicky because, well, we know what we're talking about. (I don't mean to sound conceited!) But when we pick on Keegan for eating beans and pitas raw... It's because we recognize certain symptoms that we ourselves have been through.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
foods themselves are all innocent, whether it is wheat bran or fudgy brownies. They become "safe food" only to specific person who don't really like the taste and simply stick to the food because they know, from experience, certain amount of that these stuff is "safe" for their weight. I said in my first post that PB, OJ, bread....those staple food for most people, are usually NOT "safe food".

·
Registered
780 Posts
CharityAJO:

Please forgive me for being so grumpy today. Well I can't say that I have personal experience with anorexia. And I admit that anorexia doesn't make any sense to me. But, I'm not anorexic and I have on occation opened a can of beans (usually garbanzo) and eaten them. Sometimes when I go on long trips in a car I brought along some canned beans and ate them because they are convenient and nutritious. There is nothing wrong with that. And since when are canned beans raw? Actually any kind of beans whether they are straight from the can or otherwise should be good food for anorexics. They are nutritious and fairly high in calories.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Nothing wrong with a can of beans on a camping trip. And yes, beans are high in calories, but.. they're countable calories. An entire can contains 220 calories. Someone who frets over food knows that they can eat the whole can, and get x amount of calories and x amount of fiber, etc.

Someone who doesn't have issues with food might be more inclined to drizzle olive oil over their beans freely, or work them into a dish that involves uncountable fat/carb calories.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts