VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am not from Russia, but I speak some Russian and just spent 4 months in ÐиÑеÑ. Ðде в Ð*оÑÑии живеÑе?

In St. Pete there's a wonderful vegetarian restaurant called Cafe Botanika. If any of you are there or go there, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow, I must say I'm surprised to hear of a vegetarian restaurant in St Petersburg. I'm not Russian but I went on a trip to Russia last year (St Petersburg and Moscow) and found it very hard to find any vegetarian food. A lot of the time the Russians just looked at me strangly, as if they had never heard of the concept of vegetarian. I spoke to one of my tour guides about it who said that vegetarianism is a rare thing in Russia. Something to do with fruit and vegetables being so expensive there becuase in the climate it is hard to grow them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep it's a problem to find a vegetarian restaurant here
I only found a couple of them in Moscow, I don't think there're a lot more in other towns.

As for how hard it is to grow vegetables/fruit here, I don't think it's much of a problem - we've always been growing potatoes, cabbage, carrot and I don't know what else. So I'm afraid the reason is somewhere else..

Anyways, how about we share nice vegetarian restaurants here? In all towns, not only Moscow+St.Petersburg. It might turn out handy, I suppose

I think I'll start.

I know only one place, it's

·
Registered
321 Posts
Haha you should start! That would be amazing, you can start the vegetarian revolution in Russia, open a vegetarian restaurant in every town!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter' date='20 July 2010 - 05:23 AM' timestamp='1279589000' post='2676028 View Post

... you can start the vegetarian revolution in Russia, open a vegetarian restaurant in every town!
maaan I'd loove that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was on a sail training vessel as a cadet with 100 russian cadets. My goodness how they looked down their noses at me! I knew things were going to be bad when I said I was vegetarian and the reply was "no meat? sorry only meat." so I had a slice of bread for lunch and a plate of cucumber slices for dinner. Luckily we were in port for three days before the race so i managed to get to a supermarket and stock up on all the junk I could find!

It seems that unlike vegetarianism isn't really part of the culture, but they were lovely guys and I made a lot of friends there who I still stay in touch with. Also learnt a bit of russian but most of it is not for delicate ears!

I was in st. petersburg a few years ago as well and found no real problem in getting enough vegan food although options were very limited.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, looks a little bit empty here, but fortunately the situation in Russia with vegetarians is better than we can judge by this. People in Russia speak English much better than they did 10 or 20 years ago but they still seem to be holding back communicating in English and coming to international forums. Fortunately I know Russian quite well and have made great contacts with Russian vegetarians and vegans on their own Russian speaking sites, especially their "Facebook" named vkontakte. There I have seen many young and fresh vegetarians and vegans. So, no doubt, Russia is getting there as well. In some towns and cities they have vegetarian and even vegan restaurants, and the international vegan restaurant chain Loving Hut has opened their first full vegan cafe in Moscow. Замечательно

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all, vegetarianism isn't really a part of our culture, it's true. And most people still look suspiciously at a vegan or vegetarian. But the situation is getting better, now there's a plenty of vegetarian restaurants and cafes not only in Moscow and St. Petersburg, but in the provinces too.
I was delighted to know that foreign guests don't take Russians for ignorant barbarians despite of everything, and even know some Russian words (though they are "not for delicate ears":) If there's anyone who craves for learning the rest of the language, contact me on Facebook, I'll be always glad to new friends)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts