VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for threads devoted to running but didn't find any. I've been running for five years, at first 3-4 times a week but now 6 days.

I am wondering if there are any other dedicated runners...I am interested in things like

-Do you take "rest days" ? I run six days a week because I feel like I need to give my body a morning off once a week. But some people run everyday...I would worry about overdoing it on my muscles.

-Do you cross-train with any other cardio or physical activity?

-Treadmill? Track? Outside?

-Does running hugely affect anyone else's weight? I can't run more than 30-40 minutes without losing weight really rapidly. Right now I run an 8:47 minute mile and worry that speeding up anymore would make me lose weight.

-Music while you run? Reading? Blissful silence?

-Do you run alone or in a group? For me, running is entirely solitary...no one else is invited, for sure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

I did a search for threads devoted to running but didn't find any. I've been running for five years, at first 3-4 times a week but now 6 days.

I am wondering if there are any other dedicated runners...I am interested in things like

-Do you take "rest days" ? I run six days a week because I feel like I need to give my body a morning off once a week. But some people run everyday...I would worry about overdoing it on my muscles.

-Does running hugely affect anyone else's weight? I can't run more than 30-40 minutes without losing weight really rapidly. Right now I run an 8:47 minute mile and worry that speeding up anymore would make me lose weight.

-Do you run alone or in a group? For me, running is entirely solitary...no one else is invited, for sure.
Hi Misspickle - I love to run! I've been running for almost 7 years now (7 in March!), have done 3 marathons and lots of shorter races.

1. I take a rest day if I feel I need one. If I wake up and I legitimately don't want to run, I don't - not wanting to run happens so rarely I figure that it means something. I also pay close attention to how my legs feel, energy level, etc. I sometimes take one day off a week, but it's more like one every two, and I've done as much as three weeks without a rest day (the amount of mileage per day has a big influence on this, too - if I'm marathon training and I am doing lots of long runs - 20+ mi - I take more days off).

2. I bike sometimes, but more just to get around than as intentional cross training. My commute to school is 12 mi one way, and I do try to make that a workout (which is not hard because school is on the other side of a river valley, so I have to ride up hill halfway, both directions).

3. Outside!!! I have a treadmill but I hate to use it, so unless the weather is lousy or I have to run at o-dark-thirty, I need to be outside.

4. I track my calories pretty religiously to avoid more weightloss and to make sure I have sufficient energy for each day's run (I run first thing in the morning w/o breakfast, so if I didn't eat well yesterday I will definitely feel it).

5. Music, NPR, or for long runs sometimes a book on tape.

6. Likewise - I've had a few good runs with my brother and with my best friend, especially trail runs (which I might not feel safe doing alone anyway) but I prefer alone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run about 5 times a week. Usually by myself, but I do have a running partner that I do long training runs with. I take the day before a long run off. I cross train by taking spin class and pilates. I hate running on a treadmill, but will if the weather is really crummy or if it's too hot. I run with an ipod! When I'm training for a marathon I tend to lose a bit of weight, but that is a good thing cause I tend to be 5 lbs heavier then I would like.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Yes, I run! I just ran in a 10k yesterday.

-Do you take "rest days" ?

I run 2 or 3 times a week.

I do the elliptical machine in the gym a couple of times a week and go to kickboxing class twice a week (great workout and fun!). I also lift free weights a few times a week and do situps and pushups a few times a week. Oh, and when a yoga class fits in my schedule, I also do that, but I can't seem to motivate myself to learn the poses well enough to just do yoga on my own. I'm lucky in that I work at a college so I can take fitness classes here for $5 each.

Outside on the weekends, treadmill during the week when I go after work. I don't like to run at night, and I hate getting up early to do it.

I've never lost weight rapidly in my life from anything, but there's genetics for you. It does help keep me from being overweight though.

Blissful silence.

Me too. It's kind of like meditation for me.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Another runner here. I've been running for 5 years and have run 7 marathons.

I usually run 4 days a week. I pace lead a group for my marathoning club so I always run my long run with them outside. I run alone during the week for my shorter runs, a lot of times on my treadmill, sometimes outside with my dogs, and sometimes at a track with for our speed group workouts.

I have never run ever with music however I got an ipod for Christmas and LOVE the dang thing. I ran with it for the first time with it during a marathon 2 weeks ago and got a PR and I am thanking my music for that.
When I run on the treadmill I use it too. I don't use it for the long runs since I lead a group.

I used to cross train a lot more when I first started running but now it is mostly walking the dogs and hiking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is so interesting to hear from other runners, this is great!

For the marathoners...what sort of training "regimin" do you usually stick to? I want to train for a marathon this summer, and wondering how long in advance I should be in training mode to be adequately prepared.

And for everyone, what sort of time do you run? My dad is fit as a fiddle, but he runs really slowly simply because for him, running is less about pushing himself and more about enjoying some fresh air. For me, I like to see if I can raise the bar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

-Yes. I rest on Saturday. Run every other day of the week

-Occassionally I will x-train with the elliptical trainer

-Treadmill during winter. Outside during the rest of the year

-My weight stays farily steady no matter the distance or speed I run. I think this is because I make sure I eat more when I am in marathon training distances.

-IPOD when on treadmill. Just me and my thoughts when I am outside.

-I prefer to run alone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I sort of followed Hal Higdon's plan the first time - I'm not sure what the URL is but if you google his name it'll turn up. Still, I tweaked it to suit me, even the first time (probably a dumb move since I didn't know what I was up against but fortune favored the foolish). There's a good book by John Bingham called "Marathoning for Mortals" and it's pretty comprehensive - I believe it covers nutrition, rest, injury, etc. I used to have it but gave it to my sister when she ran her first marathon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I followed Hal Higdens Intermediate program for marathon training. I believe it was a 4 month program. I have ran 2 so far. I have a couple half marathons coming up and plan to run a relay at Wildflower tri. Nike womans marathon is in October!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.