VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running in the AM again, now that it's warm-enough, but does anyone have any recommendations for on how to work my pretend-to-be-cool yoga'ing into the mix? Yoga then run? Run then yoga? Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.

·
Banned
559 Posts
yes, lather me up.

oh, wait...i say do some before and after.. have you ever done yoga before? i say go forth and buy a video if you're not too cool for that

i suck. i either go to the gym and do some lame ass stretches (well, they are good but not enough) before and after my workout. but mainly i just have days where i'll just do yoga for an hour or so and skimp out on my other work out days. but..with running, i would definitely say before and after . ten minutes each should be sufficient but more can never hurt. for yoga is fun and one can never be too flexible!

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking about picking up a video (because for better or worse, I'm not too cool for anything.) I got a book, instead, which has a lot of pictures and big words, because my "living room" is a "pit of dvds and books" so it's a bit hard to yoga in front of the tele right now...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
most of fitness clubs give free yoga classes if you are a member. i took a class once (no patience for that crap) and although it wasnt a certified yoga center or anything it still seemed like a good way to learn the basics. Personally, i would yoga first. good luck

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Interesting that you posted this, cause I was wondering exactly the same thing.

I got myself a nice Yoga video that I do at home, and I'm trying to start running too, but don't know what order to do it in...

So far I do the hour of yoga first, then go for about a half hour run/walk only (cause I'm a wimp). I figure the yoga limbers me up for the run, but maybe it's tiring me out too much...

Also: Anyone have any good online resources for extra yoga learning, or starting a running program?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Max...I do about 15 minutes of aerobics (basically dancing around) and then about 5 of light stretching before I run in the morning. I do yoga for about an hour at night after work to unplug. I've found that elongating the muscles through the yoga is helping the endurance part of my runs. It's working out great for me. This is the 4th week and I'm just now starting to see results. Oh, and 2x's a week I'll lift instead of run to build muscles because greater muscle mass increases the resting metabolism. Regardless though, I always do the yoga at night. I've been sleeping better too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What a coincidence, just last week I picked up a bunch of yoga books and DVDs. Now that I found out I was expecting, I picked up a few more prenatal yoga videos/books!

So far, I love the feeling I get when I do yoga.

As for when to do it, I used to always do my strength training first (after 5 minutes of warmup cardio), to have my full strength, and I did circuit style training to keep my heart rate up. That was a good warmup. Then I do my cardio.

I will approach yoga the same. I will do it first, as a warmup/stretch, and the ability to do the poses with fresh, new energy. Then I'll do my jog for 30-60 minutes.

I did a search on yoga, bookmarked a few sites, but it's a new hobby for me, otherwise I'd share the best URLs. I'll have to surf a bit to see what sites are the best.

Yoga at night sounds great too...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been running and practicing yoga for 15 years. It really depends on my mood which I do first. If I'm feeling tight, I'll do a yoga class first, then go for my five mile run. If I have a lot of energy, I'll run first then take a yoga class. But, more often then not, I don't do them back to back. I'll take my yoga class in the morning and run in the evening, or in the reverse order. I seperate them with time because I don't won't to compromise the intergrity, or intensity of either. I find that if I do one following the other I will ration my effort in anticipation of what's to follow.

I also do a little weight workout three days a week. Nothing too intense, just ten pound weights. I always seem to struggle with at what point to include that into my day. I guess I'm most comfortable doing that after I run, or after a yoga class.

BTW, if you want to take a live yoga class on line go to NewYorkyoga.com. They offer really good classes from beginners to advanced. They even offer prenatal classes.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'd say do a bit of light stretching before running, about 15-20 minutes, then do the yoga after the run, to cool down. but you're used to running already, what do you find normally works for you, do you stretch ahead of time, do you stretch after, what are you used to? try to stick with the same routine, if you normally stretch or do weights before or after, do the yoga instead and see how it goes

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I looked at a book called "The Runner's Yoga Book" last time I was at the bookstore, but I didn't think to look it up -- I'll have to check it out agian.

Lately I've been running, then doing weights, then doing yoga. I usually walk a bit before running to warm up, but I probably should stretch first. I'll have to play with it a bit to see what my knees are most happy with.

Good luck,

Mskedi

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do some yoga warm-up exercises, found in any good yoga book. Then my main cardio workout followed by some sun salutations or a 20 minute yoga video. I'm sure running and yoga would be an awesome combo.

Recommendation: I have a dvd called Yoga for Athletes (by bodywisdom). It has approx. 30 plus workouts you can choose from depending on your sport. You may want to check it out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well for me I'm an AM runner also. I don't warm up stretch before my run, don't ask me why. But after my run I do abs and then a 30-60 minute yoga work out. It seems to work out best for me doing it after...

Choi

·
Registered
142 Posts
just another opinion here...

running before yoga warms up the muscles, so you would be able to take your stretches farther and have less chance of injury. i usually try to get a bit of cardio in before my yoga class - it really helps!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well, I do jogging in the afternoon and yoga at night. I find this works well for me...at least the yoga at night thing. Is that a possibility? It really calms me before bed and I think helps me sleep better.

B

·
Registered
350 Posts
Deep, gentle forward bending relaxes your nervous system and encourages introspection, so it makes sense that it helps you sleep better. While back bending will help rejuvenate, energize, and encourage a sense of joy, as you open your heart toward the sky.

FWI, try inversions like headstands and shouldersstands to help ease headaches and stress.

I'm currently looking for a yoga cd that is gentle and relaxing enough for me to follow late at night, perhaps by candlelight, before I go to sleep. I don't want a video or dvd because I think it would be stimulating. I want something to do with me eyes closed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
wow, I'm reading all these posts about how you guys run 30-60 minutes or 5 miles and i'm blown away! I run/jog/walk about 20-25 minutes 3-5 times a week and I feel like a champ
But then again, I've just been running for a little over a month so I'm sure I'll build some stamina. And, I'm really interested in hearing everyone's opinoins about running and yoga. See, I am having trouble dividing my work-out time because there are many things I love to do. I run 3-4 times a week which includes basic stretching, I do light weighlifting only about 2 times a week, I have an aerobics class 2 times a week for an hour and THEN I do pilates 2 or 3 times a week....I just want something simple. I think it's an excellent idea (can't remember who said it, sorry!) to do about 10 minutes of yoga before or after you run...I'm gonna try that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, compared to the rest of you i am a bum! i am a bit of a yogi (less these past few days though, just been lazy) and walk everywhere. does that count as exercise? i don't really enjoy jogging and the gym is kinda boring to me. but according to yoga guru shiva rea, you should do some yoga before and after ur workout. she suggests sun salutations and standing poses before and forward bends & twists, hip openers and twists as well as shavasana after your workout.

hope that helps you!! by the way, i notice most of you have pics as your avatarsl. are those pics really you guys? if so, you all look really nice!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.