VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok is their any difference in running outside/treadmill to running on a elipitcal machine? I mean in results. I know that the eliptical provides less impact on your legs..and because when i go jogging I have kind of a "hop" to my motion that will eventually hurt my calves when i get older? But do the results in running a mile in either the same? any help would be great.!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If you go to FitDay, they have some exercise calculators that may help. I know when I'm using the computers on the machines at the gym, I usually burn more calories on the elliptical, but I'm not running very fast on the treadmill, either.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I read somewhere that running causes premature aging. I prefer using an elliptical just in case that's true.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Depends on the results you want. If you are looking for a cardio workout, the elliptical will give you that with the least impact on your joints. If your looking to run in the next marathon then you should prob run outdoor.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I do both. I find that, if I'm to believe the digital read-outs on the machines, I burn more calories on the elliptical machine, but I get my heart rate higher on the treadmill. That seems a little odd to me, so I'm not sure the machines are accurate. I do like to do both, however, because you work different muscles on the elliptical than when running, and I like to mix it up.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Eliptical isn't always better on your joints, I've been out of the gym for months because of a knee injury caused by the range of motion of an eliptical machine.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
When I run I always develop horrible knee problems, but I have knee problems regardless so it really in essence just exacerbates them.

The elliptical on the other hand strengthens my knees, I suppose it's an individual thing really.

Also the elliptical tones the butt and legs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm studying to be a personal trainer and have both ran and used the elliptical machine for 10 years. Here are the differences I know of: Running does burn more calories. Running also develops muscles that are more often used outsdie of the gym. With the elliptical machine it really depends on how you use it - if you don't hold on to the handles you will both build the stabilizing muscles in your legs and burn more calories (start slow and don't fall!). If you bounce on the machine, like if your head bobs up and down considerably as you do it - you may cause damage to your joints that is comparable to the damage one can get from running.

I suggest as much variety as possible - including walking uphill on the treadmill without holding on to the handles. This is less damaging to the joints, builds the glutes and thighs, and believe me an hour spent climbing a 7.5-10% incline on the treadmill at 4 miles an hour is definitely a great cardiovascular workout (work up to it if you're not there already). Remember to always keep increasing the intensity of your workout, but still be able to breathe well enough to carry on a reasonable conversation while you do. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I prefer the treadmill because I can set it to go at a certain pace and then I can study for school while I'm running. On the elliptical, I tend to get lazy and go slow and if I even try to study, I'll start going super slow because I won't be concentrating on my pace. Plus, I feel like I get a better workout on the treadmill.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I mix up my workouts so that i work as many parts of my body as i can. my gym has a track, so ill do 20 min elip, 10 min track jog, then 20 min walk on the tred mill with the incline really high, and if im feeling frisky add in some bike

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I have an elliptical and it just kills my knees. Once I get it going though, I'm fine. I prefer it over running because it's easier to be motivated to do it. Running requires going outside. In order to do that, I'd have to take a shower so I wouldn't look bad (I usually exercise before my morning shower). That means, 2 showers in the morning. Plus, my elliptical is inside, where there's air conditioning, and right in front of a big screen tv
I just turn on Black Eyed Peas "Pump it" when I'm ready to run!

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh yea elliptical definately helps sweat it out. It's best if you cross train. One key tip is to trick your body and prevent it from getting adjusted to one or the same exercise. Try elliptical for a week, then go on the bike, then run the next week or better for the joints, swimming =)

Enjoy

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know. With the elliptical machine I find that I burn more calories. However, I feel like if I just use the elliptical, then I lose a lot of the endurance that I have built up from all the running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.