VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to cancel my ymca membership because i really can't afford it. but i'm so stressed out and upset because i want to do indoor track so i need to stay in shape throughout the winter. starting tommorow i'm running outside. yeah i hate the cold but i'll deal with it and i imagine i'll adapt to it. however, how long can i run? does anyone here run in the middle of winter if they're wearing underarmor or something? i mean, track starts right after thanksgiving and after that i won't need to run much on my own, anyway. maybe on weekends. but does anyone have tips on running outside daily from now until thanksgiving? ( i live in connecticut by the way )

thanks!!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I love to run outside in the winter! But I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to temperatures...This week it's been in the 30's in the mornings - brrrrrr!

My typical runs are about 45 minutes. It takes me only a few minutes of fast walking and slow jogging to warm up, and once I get into stride, I hardly feel the cold - I even get kind of warm.

I wear layers: jogbra, underarmour shirt, fleece jacket. If it's below the lower 40s*, I wear a headband and gloves. If it's below 38*, I wear a vest on top of the jacket. The problem is , once I'm warmed up, the headband and gloves have to come off, so it's important to have pockets. And if I get too hot, I unzip the vest and lower the zipper on the jacket.

I also carry a small water bottle in either a belt or in one of the pockets.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I can run longer in the cold than in the heat. And the best thing is, unless it's really windy, or raining/snowing, you're not going to feel the cold so much after about 10 minutes.

Aside from the usual socks/sports bra/underwear and sneakers, I wear yoga pants, a gym tshirt, a hoodie, small gloves, and a tuque. If it's windy, I bring a scarf that I can pull up to cover the lower part of my face, and my hat can always be pulled down a little. You can add another layer anywhere, and long underwear would be good if it's really cold. But you're just doing this until December, and unless you're quite north, you shouldn't have to worry much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ditto on the comments regarding the temp feeling warmer once your body heats up. Be careful not to wear too much clothing just because you feel cold once you step outside your house. Your body will warm up quickly and alot of clothes will you feel like you are running in 100 degree temps.

Shorts and one to two layers of coolmax type long-slevee shirts should be fine along with hat and gloves for temps in the 30s.

I have run two marathons in temps in the mid 30's. Each time some runners wore alot of clothing and within the first mile alot of ppl were peeling those layers off.

Good luck with your winter running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Peachie- I'm from Connecticut too!

Keep your ears warm and wrap a light scarf around your mouth and lower face so it will warm the air making it much easier to breathe

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, I just started training myself to run, and was thinking about this same topic

I find the treadmill a little dull, and want to go outside once I've gfot a good base level of running ability---however, i live in Ontario, and it gets effing cold in the winter!

So please, keep the wisdom coming, you seasoned winter athletes
You inspire we, the rookies

·
Registered
532 Posts
Winter is my absolute favorite time to run. I actually run indoors for most of the summer, and then pop back out in the fall because of it! Winter runing is actually safer then runing in the heat, but there are still some precations you should take just make sure you stay safe and adjust for the changes cool whether brings! And don't run in temps below -15 (just in case...uhhh... you were thinking of doing that)

1. Seriously consider getting a "trail shoe", even if you aren't runing on trails because it will give you better traction against slippery ice. Or, if your short on dough, you can modify a pair by putting on sheet metal screws into the bottom(3/8" work best) .

2. As a rule, it is better to be too over-dress then under-dress, but clothing that can be taken off, rolled easily up or down, or zippered is the best. Try not to have skin showing, so gloves, even real thin ones are usually a good bet-and you lose most of your heat through your head so try and find a comfy cap that will stay put, but out of your way.

3. Wear synthetic socks over heavier ones that may seem better during the winter. Heavy socks just make your shoes fit improperly which will lead to blisters and pain and decrease circulation!

4. Try runing on flatter surfaces because your muscels react slower to terrain changes in the winter and changing to often/fast can lead to sprains and strained muscels.

5. Winter also means it's usually darker out so, you know-run safe with reflectors, obnoxiously bright and unfashionable clothes, and try to stay in lit areas!

Have fun!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run outside all year. Underarmour for both your legs and upperbody are a must, sometimes i double-layer them (i live in chicago and it really is windy here). you should also always have something for your head.

im a trackie, too, and just to let you know, you can cut your training time in half if you increase your intensity and pace. for example, you don't have to do 6 miles outside in the subzero weather at CT pace, instead you can do 3 or 4 miles at 85% intensity. track is about speed, and training this way will improve your times as well as limit the amount of time you spend outside. good luck!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts