VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run about 45 minutes mostly every day, unless I'm really not feeling well, or other serious extenuating reasons. I don't feel overtired or anything, but my mom is arguing that running every single day is bad for my body. However, I run both for health reasons, and because I like it--it's a chance to clear my head, to be completely alone, you know?

However, is my mom right, or am I okay to go running every day, as long as I'm not straining myself?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run everyday my schedule and the weather allows it. If you're not feeling any physical side effects of your exertion I say keep it up. What I do is vary my distance and pace. If I do a long, tough run one day, I'll go on a short, easy jog the next. You're body does need to recover from exercise but that doesn't mean you have to coach potato. It's tough for me to take it easy with my workouts too but mixing it up can give your body a break and still give you a chance to get your runs in

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
As long as you're feeling good and taking care of yourself otherwise - eating well, getting enough sleep, etc - it's probably ok. I think rest days are usually recommended, but on the other hand there are lots of people who do well running every single day. And getting exercise daily is a good thing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fellow poster hat:

I have been running everyday as part of a mile a day challenge since January 1 without injury.

I am not exercise expert but would suggest that as long as you take it easy on a couple of runs per week and cut your time down on a couple of others you should, if you remain uninjured, be ok to continue.

Mum hat:

Your Mum is just concerned for you and possibly doesn't understand that running helps you clear your head. If you haven't already, tell her.

Also consider finding another form of exercise that could break up the days between your running but still allow you thinking time like swimming laps or cycling. Mum should be happy and you will still be getting time to yourself.

As an aside:

Why not ask your Mum to join you on a run every week or so? If she is not physically able to keep up with you slow down or if she is a beginner download the C25K program and encourage and support her while she learns. Maybe if she gets the running bug it will be easier for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a personal trainer and someone who trains people for ultra running and ironman events, i also do them myself, I would never have someone run everyday, so much chance for injury. Not to say it can't be done, everyone is different. I do 3 workouts a day with no rest days, but i only run 3 or 4 days a week.

Its way more effective to do less runs and make those runs more intense. Also doing varying lengths over different terrain and elevation and mixing in some speed work is the way to go. Otherwise just like any exercise your body gets used to the runs and you plateau.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satt View Post

I run about 45 minutes mostly every day, unless I'm really not feeling well, or other serious extenuating reasons. I don't feel overtired or anything, but my mom is arguing that running every single day is bad for my body. However, I run both for health reasons, and because I like it--it's a chance to clear my head, to be completely alone, you know?

However, is my mom right, or am I okay to go running every day, as long as I'm not straining myself?
Your mom has probably never heard of Arthur Lydiard or the
Lydiard style of running. He was a running coach that has
trained people for the olympics, etc.. His personal theory
is that runners only reach their full potential by running a
hundred miles a week. None of his runners ever died from
running and they run much more than any of us. I've slowly
been working my way up to running 100 miles a week. As
it stands I run 70 - 80 miles a week. The only injury I've
ever gotten from running has been a recent one from running
with a pulled muscle. Which I knew better than to do.

It is okay to run every day as long as you're taking proper
care of yourself. Make sure you carboload before any
serious runs: distances greater than ten miles. (If you can
run +10 miles in forty-five miles I will be seriously impressed)
and ice your knees for fifteen minutes after you run. I don't
care what anyone says: this is important in the long run.
You also need to stretch before and AFTER running

Does your mother know that it is recommended that humans
exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

Running every day will only hurt you if you're not taking care of
yourself. I run every day and for the most part I am fine other
than my hip flexor injury which was really caused by slipping
in syrup (that I spilled) at work.

However when you're running every day you should have
"rest" days. My rest days consist of running anywhere
between 1 mile and 3. Eventually my rest days will grow
to be five miles but for now I generally stick with 3.

Drink lots of water and eat enough food to fuel your body.
If you're running to lose weight, fast for twelve hours before
you run and then your body will burn fat in place of glycogen.
This is the only time where running every day will hurt you.
It won't hurt you immediately but eventually it will catch up
to you and you'll start feeling more and more exhausted.
If you're body is burning fat only and not glycogen every day
for two months your body is going to go into starvation mode.

As long as your body is burning glycogen and not fat and you're
running lesser distances at lesser intensities some days, running
every day will not hurt you

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love running and I do this everyday except when I'm not feeling well too. It is a part of my daily routine because running helps me a lot in losing weight. I run about 3 km every morning. I feel happy whenever I run and it made my morning complete.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think it's okay, unless you feel problems such as fatigue or pains. I read a blog from a guy running every day for a year, he found it okay. I think for most people a couple of days off a week is good though. Do you have a bike to crosstrain? The obvious benefit is that it is low impact.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'm trying to run at least 3 miles, 5 days a week, either pavement, treadmill or off-road. I'm gradually putting in some longer distances but make sure I have a rest, the following day. My 67 year old joints need plenty of TLC.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I stopped running for several months- in order to be able to play football a couple of times a week for a team at university- I kept getting slight injuries and didn't want to risk my last year of football at uni. I've been cycling thogh. Now the football is over I'm thinking of starting up running again, because I do enjoy it. I want to break 20mins for 5k.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts