VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate (also best friend...although I am trying to get out of it) has always been fairly respectful of my veganism. However, her twin sister (who might at well live with us, she is there enough) always makes it a point to bring it up when it is not appropriate. For example, a week ago their friend came to our apartment and we were all talking and I was making something to eat and her sister says to the girl, when we were not talking about anything relevent, "She's VEGAN!!!".

We are almost 21...is that really mature behavior??

·
Registered
236 Posts
You're trying to "get out" of being best friends with her or being her roommate?

Anywho, I know a few people (way over 21) who will mention my veganism out of the blue. I think sometimes it's just because people find it so out of the norm--which it is but shouldn't be IMO--and it's alien to them. I guess what bothers me more is when people add things on (not just saying "she's vegan"), like one of my co-workers found out I was vegan--I actually told him when he suggested I eat something I knew was not vegan--and he said, "is there a cure for that?" What was even more disheartening is most of the non-vegans I mentioned it to (even those who are respectful of my veganism) thought his comment was funny

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Perhaps she just thought the conversation needed to take a turn? It does seem a bit childish... but people do seem to say the totally wrong thing (no matter what their age) when they can't think of anything *else* to say and feel something needs to be said.

I'd try to not let it bother me, if I were you. I know I get a lot of odd looks and questions when people find out about my eating habits. First they think it is just a diet I'm on, then I say, no, I just choose to eat this way. (I don't put a lable on it, but if they ask, I may say "vegetarian, no eggs, no dairy")

In the same situation, I'd probably say, "Yeah, and...?"
I'm a bit of a smart mouth, though. Anyway!

May the annoying sister not be around as much!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She said it in an implied nasty way. Basically, she was telling the girl that I am weird. The whole time their friend was there, my roommate and her sister kept mocking me anyway about other things.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Now I think I understand why this might soon be your ex-best friend
Unfortunately, maturity is not just an age-related aspect when it comes to people "picking" on you for being different.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd be finding a different place to live when the lease is up. And tell her if she can't keep her comments to herself, to keep herself away from you.

I moved in with my best friend, and she and I could NOT live together. We needed our own space. It didn't work at all to be in the same space. We fought constantly. And now that we don't live together we are fine.

Maybe it is just something like that... but maybe it is time to move on and leave her in her juvinile behaviour until she is ready to grow up and act like an adult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts