VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else going to watch it?

I know it's probably just a waste of taxpayers money
but my bf's mum has invited me round to watch it and she's got champagne and is getting strawberries and everything, she is very excited so I didn't want to say no! She and bf's sister are also going to have salmon, any idea of a royal sort of vegan food I can take? I'm thinking of making dark chocolate fondu for the strawberries.

Also I don't know if anyone has seen this but I thought it was pretty funny (but then I have seen the video it's parodying!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug&feature=topvideos_entertainmen t

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think most people won't! I actually think most people verge on hatred of the royal family. I don't much care either way, but I have to watch it as I've made a promise now.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Hell no, I'm not watching.

I don't mind the royal family but I don't understand why it's worth celebrating. Do I celebrate the hundreds of weddings between people I don't know that happen every day? No. So why should I celebrate this one?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Nah I don't care. My stepmom is though, because of the time change it starts at 4 AM over here and since she gets up at 5 for work anyway she's getting up to watch it lol a bit silly but she's a huge fan of the royal family

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm not understanding a lot of the vitriol that some people are showing towards it. I've heard people go on huge rants about how it's wasting taxpayers' money (FTR, the government are only paying for security) and that it's a waste of a day. I mean, really, people, at the very least it's a free day off! It's not like you HAVE to sit in front of the telly all day! It's a happy occasion anyway, and I've seen precious few of those lately, so I'm grabbing the excuse to celebrate something.

My brother will be staying with me for the week, so we may watch it. There won't be any of my other friends in Leicester though, so no huge party sadly.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

I'm not understanding a lot of the vitriol that some people are showing towards it. I've heard people go on huge rants about how it's wasting taxpayers' money (FTR, the government are only paying for security) and that it's a waste of a day.
I wouldn't mind if taxpayers had contributed to the cost of my wedding.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No ideas of 'royal themed' vegan food? I'd like to make something amazing as I made bf's parents cupcakes for their 25th wedding anniversary and they didn't turn out so well, bit hard and chewy!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

I'm not understanding a lot of the vitriol that some people are showing towards it. I've heard people go on huge rants about how it's wasting taxpayers' money (FTR, the government are only paying for security) and that it's a waste of a day. I mean, really, people, at the very least it's a free day off! It's not like you HAVE to sit in front of the telly all day! It's a happy occasion anyway, and I've seen precious few of those lately, so I'm grabbing the excuse to celebrate something.

My brother will be staying with me for the week, so we may watch it. There won't be any of my other friends in Leicester though, so no huge party sadly.
It suggests that some people are inherently more important and valuable than others, and perpetuates the myth that the Royals are in some way instrinsic to the existence of the rest of the people on these islands. It's offensive, crass and expensive, and that security bill is going to be huge, not to mention that we have to foot every other bill that they land at our feet, often unchecked and ignored by the government which is in cahoots with them.

tl;dr, I'll be occupying the streets and protesting.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I don't care about the taxpayers money involved, the royal family bring in more money to the country than they use.

I don't understand the hype though. Don't get why anyone cares...

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't care about the taxpayers money involved, the royal family bring in more money to the country than they use.
I don't understand the hype though. Don't get why anyone cares...
I think some people just disagree on principle rather than having any financial concerns.
I don't understand why more people aren't offended actually.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Untrue actually. Perhaps true if we only look at the Royals that we see often, but when you have the likes of Prince Andrew et al they actually work out as more expensive, not to mention that the Spanish royals cost 5 times less, and that their security is always state provided and counted seperately from their allowance!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Kappa, I'm not sure why you quoted my post, as you didn't actually reply to it, instead going off on a rant.

You're entitled to your opinion; however, don't expect me to listen to your pessimism. Or that of any of my friends who insist on moaning about "the bloody Royal Wedding" to me at every opportunity. I've heard more people moaning about it than I have news about the wedding itself; THAT's what's more annoying.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Kappa, I'm not sure why you quoted my post, as you didn't actually reply to it, instead going off on a rant.
I explained the vitriol, which you said you didn't understand, not a rant <3

And I'm not being pessismistic, I like having the day off, but I'd much rather we got the day off for International Women's Day or something constructive

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
I don't even get the day off. It's in my Easter holidays from uni so I don't even get a day off!
(We start again on the 2nd May.)

So my day is going to be the same regardless of what some rich people are doing.. All I'm doing is revising and finishing my essays.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I don't even know what day it's taking place, because I've got such a lack of interest in the subject and the royal family in general. Why doesn't somebody shoot the bastards like they do with defenceless animals?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

I don't even know what day it's taking place, because I've got such a lack of interest in the subject and the royal family in general. Why doesn't somebody shoot the bastards like they do with defenceless animals?
They don't deserve shot! They just need to be taken off their pedestal.

I think it is a little nicer that William is marrying someone he liked rather than someone from the aristocracy though.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts