VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how rotten (ripe) should bananas be for good banana bread. i have to make it friday and today is tuesday. currently they are yellow and starting to spot. will they be too rotten by then? or okay?

thx!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
if they star to get too bad. Throw them in the freezer and unthaw them later.

In that much time you shouldn't have any problem though.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
You can also refrigerate your bananas at the perfect ripeness and they will stay that way for another day or two (even though the skin gets black).

If you do the freezing trick, the easiest way to unthaw them is to stick them in the microwave on defrost and then cut off the end and squeeze out the fruit.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46 avocados

how rotten (ripe) should bananas be for good banana bread. i have to make it friday and today is tuesday. currently they are yellow and starting to spot. will they be too rotten by then? or okay?

thx!
It depends a little on the temperature, but they should be good enhough on friday.

Starting to spot means they are just starting to rippen.

I think the more brown the better they taste.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Be careful if you thaw them in the microwave! I throw old bananas in the freezer all the time to save for baking but last time I thawed one in the microwave the stem caught on fire!

Maybe it's just me?!?

·
Registered
0 Posts
oh, if i'm gonna freeze 'em, i peel 'em first. also, break the banana up into chunks - it'll defrost faster (as the boy says, "less thermally massive that way")... also, if you need to defrost in the microwave to really save time, the stems won't burn or do nasty stuff.

i also do the fridge thing. but a word of advice: put them on a plate or something. they left this sticky goo all over my fridge shelf the last time, even though they didn't rot, and it was unbearable to clean off all the other stuff it leaked onto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.