VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my co-workers is shutting down her aquarium. She had recently bought some rosy red minnows (<i>Pimephales promelas</i>) and I offered to take them. There aren't many and they're quite small; I guess the store doesn't take them back because they are so inexpensive, usually being used as food for other animals (sorry to mention that).<br><br>
These minnows are native to the eastern US and she was thinking about releasing them in a pond nearby; I was glad she isn't going to flush them down a toilet or something, but if they would be healthy there and wouldn't cause problems, I don't think it would be a bad idea. Most likely they wouldn't cause problems because they are a native species to this area. I want to take them in because their color isn't the natural greenish-silver. Reddish-pink individuals startted showing up in fish farms where they were bred, and breeders started keeping them as a colorful variety- but larger fish (if there are any where she would turn them loose) would easily spot them and go after them.<br><br>
I have two spare (currently unused) 10-gallon aquaria and one 5-gallon. I plan to put them in a 10-gallon. My goldfish are in a 20 gallon tank now, but they're like about 20 times the size of a rosy red and even if they didn't try to eat the rosies (which I'm afraid they would), being in a tank with comparatively-huge fish would stress the little guys out.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sounds like you have it all covered ^_^<br><br>
Pics?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to borrow a digital camera.<br><br>
So- there are 4 of them; one isn;t rosy- he's the wild type, sort of olive-silver. I put them in the tank yesterday after work. They LOVE to stay in the anacharis my friend gave me, and they're eating, although I do crunch up the pellets my goldfish eat and soak them a bit. They have good appetites.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wild-type color minnow died about a week ago. It was very sudden- I was home all that day and noticed him on the aquarium floor. He hadn't been acting sick and his appetite was never quite as good as the other three during the two weeks I had them, so maybe he was just a lot older than the others. I worry in the back of my mind that he died because I didn't cycle the tank properly, but I don't see how the water quality could have deteriorated that much.<br><br>
The other three have filled out quite a bit and have VERY good appetites. If a piece of food on the bottom looks a bit too big for them to swallow and I reach in (with clean, rinsed hands) and try to break it into two smaller pieces, I swear whoever is tussling with it will grab it and swim away. I'm glad we didn't just turn them loose in a pond- I think they were underfed.<br><br>
They're a lot more active now; I think they're getting used to their new home.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Aww, I how nice for you to do this. I used to work in a pet store, and I hated knowing that most of the little minnows were just going to get eaten.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^Thanks! I really feel for those fish, and any fish thought of as primarily a food item for something much bigger. I've seen a community tank with a number of rosy red minnows added as community members. It appeared to work out well; none of the other fish was big enough to make a meal of the rosies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts