VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an ENORMOUS naple tree in the backyard, and its roots run all the way to the front yard and nearly onto the street.

When we started taking care of the garden again, we realized that, in one of our smallish rose bushes (but it's like 15 years old, we just kept pruning it because it's right next to the sidewalk on the side of the house), a maple tree--it looks like it's an extension from the big one--sprang up during the years we weren't intensively taking care of the rosebush. Now it's really, really big, grown up in the middle of the rosebush. It's like a foot wide and pretty good into the ground, but we cut of all the branches that were growing out of it. It seems to be choking the rosebush because all the other old rosebushes are growing buds now that we pruned them back a lot but this one isn't. This is a big shame if it never get roses on that bush again--the bush was there for a while and the flowers were beautiful and smelled wonderful.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a way to get this darn thing out without hurting the rosebush? Can a professional remove it somehow, does nayone know?

Cassie

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Cassie, sounds like that tree is pretty big and will eventually kill the rose. a professional could possibly save is?...but do you want the expense?? The rose is so established I'm not sure it would survive a move, but you might just want to try to do it on your own. If it is that old I'm guessing it is an old fashion varety and is hadier than other roses...it might survive the move? If you do it dig deep and get as much of the root out as you can. BTW before you dig anywhere make sure its safe...call diggers hotline.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts