VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegetarian for 5 years but this fall went vegan. Soon after, I had a huge rosacea flare up. It's been five years since that happened- coincidentally.<br><br>
My face is very inflamed on one side, around my nose with papules and pustules. It is also painful. The dermatologist put me on Doryx and wants me on it for 3 months.<br><br>
Any other vegan rosacea sufferers? What works?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have it and don't do anything for it. I've probably been aware of it for 10-12 yrs. I don't want to live on antibiotics and the one they were going to use for a daily dose, is one that I can take without having an allergic reaction to it, so didn't want to wear out my ability to use it in the future.<br><br>
In all honesty, I haven't been back to my derm in 3+ yrs, so I have no idea what new treatments are available. My coworker, a guy, recently had the laser surgery which was uncomforatble, and it did nothing for his face. He's in his 30s, and has a constant whole-face lobster-sunburn look including up into his scalp. his is more painful than mine is.<br><br>
when I get the breakouts, I just warm pack them. Hot showers and too much sun flares it up, and I absolutely look like Rudolph in the winter. I get picked on about it actually, or the old saying of hitting the booze too much.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
My impression is Rosacea is highly individualized.<br><br>
I make sure I have enough good fats in my diet, drink enough water, and use a humidifier in dry weather and eye drops daily. I use very gentle skin products and rarely scrub. I use castille soap and check everything on <a href="http://costmeticsdatabase.org" target="_blank">Environmental Working Group's site</a> before using.<br><br>
I use Finacea and something with a D for the papules, plus Protonic for eczema-like flare ups. I found I had to use the papule stuff very sparingly and definitely/thoroughly moisturize before using it. The Protonic works shockingly well.<br><br>
If the red inflammation flares up I moisturize and leave a cold washcloth on for a while to soothe.<br><br>
I was offered some antibiotic but decided not to try it due to potential side effects.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
what's Protonic? A cream or oral med?

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
It's a topical ointment. It has the consistency and appearance of Vaseline. I get awful eczema-like patches every so often and they take weeks to go away with no treatment. Gel from vitamin E caps was the only thing that helped previously. The Protonic worked overnight!<br><br>
I've read a lot of posts on Rosacea forums and it seems everyone's experiences are different. People have very different experiences with the same products.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue. I have seborrheic dermatitis, which was mostly in control until I went plant-based in early September. I think the increased soy and grains might be to blame in my situation. Hard to eliminate both of those to see what is the culprit. I react the worst (and within hours) when I make homemade vegan pizza, and I've read that freshly baked yeast products can be an irritant for some forms of eczema.<br><br>
I'm still trying to figure mine out, and might have to do a complete elimination of all but fruit/veg to identify the culprit. I'm convinced my flare-ups are entirely diet triggered. Topical ACV has helped mine, but I don't think that's effective with Rosacea.<br><br>
If you're not already doing so, I would look into a high quality probiotic. There is a link between digestive issues and rosacea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spices and flavorings can cause your body to produce substantial amounts of histamine, which can be very bad for rosacea. Avoid soy sauce, vinegars, wine and other fermented foods as a start to see if your rosacea improves. Hot spices can be very problematic. Often, when one switches to a vegan diet, they consume more ethnic foods, such as Chinese, Indian, etc. -- or they flavor their vegan dishes with new spices (or more of them). Could that be the culprit? Of course too much chocolate, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. are bad for rosacea too. Just do a google search under foods to avoid if you have rosacea to see a more complete list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts