VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I moved in with this girl that was a COMPLETE disaster, and I had to move out. Per my contract with the landlord, I have continued to pay rent, and per my contract with her, I've continued to pay half my utilities. She seems to have NO plans to find a new roommate, She's quite happy living there for half price. I however have to spend $450 a month on an apartment I do NOT live in, and utilities that I do NOT use, included an extra $10 a month fee for her to have HD tv. The lease isn't up until July. Do I have ANY options or am I totally ****ed?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
And you can't stomach through 6 months with her?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

And you can't stomach through 6 months with her?
No.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Can you sublease the space to someone else to cover the cost?
Nope.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Why don't you sub-let your room to someone, since your roommate has no intention to find a new roommate, do it for her.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Why don't you sub-let your room to someone, since your roommate has no intention to find a new roommate, do it for her.
Because the lease says that I may not sublet.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Then...that is just crappy :/
It really is. I have NO money to spend on anything because ALL my money goes to a place that I don't have anything to do with anymore.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't know anything about living with roommates, but maybe your landlord would be understanding? If you can find someone else willing to live there, I don't see why he would care where the money is coming from.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

I don't know anything about living with roommates, but maybe your landlord would be understanding? If you can find someone else willing to live there, I don't see why he would care where the money is coming from.
I'm sure he'd be fine with me turning my lease over, but it's the fact that I don't want to stick her living with someone she doesn't approve of, and I don't think I could feel quite right about subjecting someone to live with her.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd find someone else and have the new person meet your roommate to see if it would work. If your roommate turns people down and you have the landlords OK to sublet or alter the lease, then you have a good case in court for not having to pay it since you gave her every opportunity to cover that cost.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I agree with Yumy.

If I may ask, what made living with her so horrible?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

I'd find someone else and have the new person meet your roommate to see if it would work. If your roommate turns people down and you have the landlords OK to sublet or alter the lease, then you have a good case in court for not having to pay it since you gave her every opportunity to cover that cost.
I can't sublet at all, the other person would have to take over my lease, 100%. My contract to pay rent is with the landlord, not her, so if I stop paying rent the landlord will sue me. The only thing I can see being able to get out of is paying the utilities, if she turns down every person I bring to show the apartment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I believe it was I who said "She's a lunatic who probably eats socks in the middle of the night" originally, but don't listen to me. The voice of reason. Of all that is smart.

Also: Legally your ****ed if she won't agree to someone else.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i can't really help you. when i was in a similar situation i just chose to stay until the contract was over, but we ended up moving in a month because police gave him a restraiing order to not get near me the distance that was impossible to cover by our appartment. so maybe try that

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
First, I would contact a local renters advocacy group. If they didn't offer any help and the $ was important enough to me, I would consider moving back in, if even just for a few days, with friends, if only to give her a headache. She might be more willing to negotiate something reasonable, after that. (Don't tell her it's only for a few days).

I'd be concerned about what a nightmare roommate might do to a place in my absence. You could be out more than just the rent and utilities.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

First, I would contact a local renters advocacy group. If they didn't offer any help and the $ was important enough to me, I would consider moving back in, if even just for a few days, with friends, if only to give her a headache. She might be more willing to negotiate something reasonable, after that. (Don't tell her it's only for a few days).

I'd be concerned about what a nightmare roommate might do to a place in my absence. You could be out more than just the rent and utilities.
Same here. I also would consider moving back in. That'a a lot of money going to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWolff View Post

I believe it was I who said "She's a lunatic who probably eats socks in the middle of the night" originally, but don't listen to me. The voice of reason. Of all that is smart.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts