VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
::sigh:: before my roommate and i moved in together, she told me she was a vegetarain....but then it comes out that she eats fish!!! and she expects me to be ok with this and let her use my dishes and pots/pans (she already has used them) that had never ever touched meat to make her friggin fish in. AAARRGGH

i just dont' get it....

~Becca

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
be very specific with her. I have been in this situation before and i told my roomate that this is MY property and it should be respected. I do not want flesh on my pots and pans. its hard to muster up the courage but really to get any results thats what you have to do. Fish is meat, i dont know how poeple can confuse the fact that it is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on your side..I have pans I cook only vegetarian in...no answers really...can you take your pots to your bedroom? have a cabinet that is off limits?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ew ew ew ew. i went to light the oven (yes, i said light), and i opened it, and my cookie sheet was in there, WITH FISH STICKS SITTING ON IT!!!! I dumped them in the trash and then washed the cookie sheet in the hottest water we had, and now have my taters on tin foil.

I don't use any of her dishes or pots. but thats because she has like 2 pots and 3 dishes. Its not that i care if she uses it, but i KNOW i told her i did not want fish in them at all.

~BEcca

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorelei

I'm on your side..I have pans I cook only vegetarian in...no answers really...can you take your pots to your bedroom? have a cabinet that is off limits?
yeah, i was on the phone with my mum and she said "i'll buy you a cookie sheet to keep in your room" lol. you have to walk through my room to get to the kitchen anyway, so its not like she'll ever know i have a secret pan.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
You should tell her how you feel, and try your best to be reasonable with her, or at least make yourself appear reasonable to her. Jst state that you have a problem, and that it is with her cooking fish on your utensils, making them non-kosher. (It's a euphemism. Don't get offended if you're Jewish. I'm simply making a comparison to the kashrut dietary pracice of keeping two sets of cookware.) And while you're at it, make sure she learns these two pieces of infomation:

1.) Vegetarians do not eat animals

2 A fish is an animal.

Leave her to work out what #3 is!!! If she gets stuck, help her out, and make sure she realises that calling yourself vegetarian when you eat fish creates confusion.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I don't see why she doesn't get her own damn cookware. Anyhow, whatever kind of food it maybe, you shouldn't leave old food out in the oven. She has two hands, she can wrap it up and put it in the fridge.

Every year I was in college, they always recommended laying down specific ground rules at the beginning, and have each other sign them to confirm your agreement (even if it's only symbolic).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i confronted her on the fishie sticks, and she claimed she forgot about them -- thank goodness she turned off the oven!! I did mention the cooking fish/eating fish on my things - and was told she wouldn't do it again.

the kosher euphanism is ok. i told her we were keeping a kosher kitchen -- my stuff is the non-meat stuff

i think she's going to be better about the fish thing. the only problem is when her son is here (he spends two weeks with us, and two weeks with his dad), and he really likes fish sticks. but i did request that she go to the dollar store and replace my cookie sheet, and i think she will. i hope.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
All of my past roommates have been omni, and I never saw any problem with sharing plates and pots and pans. It's not like you aren't washing them between cooking. I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It really depends on how strict you are. I'm in an omni family, and I'm happy with just washing stuff. But some people do wish to avoid contact with meat completely. This is where the kosher euphemism comes in, because in orthodox jewish households, the kashrut laws say "Don't mix milk & meat" so they have different utensils and cutlery and crockery (You can tell I'm british!) for food with dairy and food with meat, as there is a contamination risk. It's the same in the room mate situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts