VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents will have been married for 53 years, and my sister and her husband for 29 years (where does time go, anyway?)and I want to make a special romantic dinner for their respective anniversaries (the 13th and 19th, respectively). It can't have soy in any form in it, due to a serious allergy. Any suggestions? Oh, and it has to feed up to 9 people. Thank you.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Are you serving? A meal of many tapas could be fun. If you're looking for a main course, a tagine with potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, and olives could be nice, as would a number of SE Asian rice noodle dishes.

I'm unclear on your post. If your parents have been married for 53 years, why is it their 13th anniversary?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Are you serving? A meal of many tapas could be fun. If you're looking for a main course, a tagine with potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, and olives could be nice, as would a number of SE Asian rice noodle dishes.

I'm unclear on your post. If your parents have been married for 53 years, why is it their 13th anniversary?
That sounds delicious...Hmmmm.....

It's not. Their 53rd anniversary is the 13th of February.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
If you're interested, the tagine:

- 2.5 lbs potatoes (waxier (I like red) are better) washed and cut into 1 inchish pieces. Skins on.
- 2 pounds wilted or frozen whole or cut (not chopped spinach)
- 28 oz can of nice whole peeled tomatoes and half the juice
- 5 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (or more) large jarred pimento olives ( don't rinse them)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup water or dry white wine or mix of both
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper

Mix everything together and bake in a sealed vessel in a 350 F oven at 40 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender. I use a Romertopf but any sealed vessel or a roasting pan and aluminum foil will work just fine. Despite the potatoes, it's really good served with white rice. Easy, cheap, and tasty.

You can add 1/2 tsp of paprika and/or a sliced and sauteed onion to the mix if you like those flavors.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
I would imagine so, just keep an eye on the potatoes so they don't get mushy. I've cooked it in a large covered skillet with a lid before; it just takes a good bit of monitoring and turning, and you might need to add water as it cooks.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
I usually make this by feel, but I made it tonight and measured everything. I edited the recipe a little (mostly in the potato department - it still wouldn't hurt if you used another pound if you like).

Also, ocrob37, I cooked it in a large saucepan to test and it turned out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts