VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love 'em!

Check out the the stats on the new one for 2003 at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

from a local news channels site

The 420-foot tall coaster towers about the Cedar Point skyline. It is the first roller coaster to ever top 400 feet.

But that's not all, the ride also is the first to reach speeds of 120 mph.

Thrill seekers will launch out of loading gate in dragster-style trains and quickly reach 120 mph in just 4 seconds. The trains will then shoot up the 420-foot hill on a track that rotates 90 degrees. Riders crest the apex and then free fall back down, reaching 120 mph again. The track also has a series of twists on the way down.

"Top Thrill Dragster will forever redefine roller-coaster-riding around the globe, while putting an exclamation mark on Cedar Point's ongoing commitment to being the leading thrill ride park in the world," said Daniel Keller, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point.

A Cedar Point spokeswoman said the ride lasts about 30 seconds. It can hold about 1,500 riders and hour. The ride is located in the center of the park along the midway by Power Tower, Iron Dragon and Magnum XL-200.

This is Cedar Point's 16th roller coaster. The park has more coasters than any other in the world.

Top Thrill Dragster will be the ninth world-record-breaking ride at Cedar Point.

If you want to check it out on video, go to www.cedarpoint.com.

I am crapping my drawers just thinking of getting on that thing!!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I'm nowhere near this place, so I doubt I'll be riding this coaster anytime soon, but...wow. Just wow.

Unfortunately, the only theme park near me is the epitome of theme park evil...Six Flags.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I found this is on the site. It appears not to have shoulder harnesses; just lap bars and seat belts! What fun!

Track Length: 2,800 feet

Lift Height: 420 feet

Angle of Lift Hill: 90 degrees

Vertical Drop: 400 feet

Angle of Descent: 90 degrees

Angle of Twist on Descent: 270 degrees

Note the 90 degree angle....sheesh..don't know if I'll be riding this or not this year. I might have finally found one that I can't ride (not).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ceryna...if you ever get a chance to go you should. I cannot describe their rollercoasters well enought to even begin to do them justice. Did you check out the website? Very cool.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
It was awesome. ^___^

Sadly, I couldn't view the video because the firewall at my office didn't let me connect to it. I'll try to check it when I'm not working. ^^;;

Hm...maybe a roadtrip to this place is necessary... *grin*

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
oh dear god. that is insane.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I haven't been on one in so long, I am not sure I still have what it takes. I ususally don't go on the new rides. We usually here about a few "bugs" in the first year.

I admit, I am scared of that thing, too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a virtual ride on it from my pc at home last night. I'm getting on it. I' not sure why they don't have a shoulder harness though. For that reason I don't think I'll let my step daughter ride it. She's too tiny.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love roller coasters!!!!!!!!!! I have never been afraid of them except sometimes I wonder what if the cart flies off the roller coaster and i fall to my doom! lol I have only been to cedar Point once, its about a 4 hour drive from here. but that new roller coaster sounds great! Have you ever heard of the one called the Mantis? Where your standing. Well it was new when I last went their about 4 years ago but I never got the chance to ride it.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i don't think i could go on it. i saw the little video of it and it's damn scary looking. the biggest coaster i've been on was Top Gun at Canada's Wonderland and i felt sick for the rest of the day. though my main issue is spinning so maybe it wouldn't be that bad. my bf would go on it i'm sure, he likes rides like Drop Zone that just bring you up real high and let you fall, i could never get the courage to go on that one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by luckiecharms

Have you ever heard of the one called the Mantis? Where your standing. Well it was new when I last went their about 4 years ago but I never got the chance to ride it.
Mantis is cool. CP adds a new thrill ride every year. But they are the King of Koasters!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't know about that 90 degree angle... I wonder how much more of a thrill that is than Millenium Force's first big drop. As long as it doesn't have any loops or corkscrews at that speed, I should be fine. I loved Millenium Force because it went sooooo fast and didn't take me upside down. I can do upside down, just not that fast.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My parents never took me to amusement parks as a kid. Friends and I had to make our own plans. I take that back. We did go to my dad's company picnics at Geauga Lake, but it was free so they didn't mind. My parents think real vacations are found away from people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.