VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've three female rats but have had rodents my whole life. Just curious to see who else has them.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have six rats (3 of each gender) right now. I had 8 but last year 2 died. I've had another rat, GPs and hamsters before that. I've had rodents for most of my life too. I'm glad you started this thread, I've been thinking about starting a rodent thread on here.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
2 male rats, 6 female mice (3 have passed), 1 new male mouse.
Had a dog for 18 years since I was a child. A little while after she passed, I saw many mice available at the shelter, read up on them and decided to adopt. Been in love with rodents ever since.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I love my rodents! I've had 5 hamsters who have all since passed away, and then all my degus, which there are still 10 of, who are right now shrieking at the neighbor somewhere outside that has a saw.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I used to have a rat. I love rats, they're so sweet. It's too bad they have such a bad reputation.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I used to have a rat. I love rats, they're so sweet. It's too bad they have such a bad reputation.
I know people think their gross but they are really clean and orderly. Most of the time they can be litter trained. Very smart too.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have had 5 rats over the years. Lost my last one a couple years ago.
I've also had hamsters. They're adorable, but not as sweet, friendly, and intelligent as my rats!
Aggie...she was the best rat. She used to sleep in the hood of my sweatshirt

Fiona

Aggie and Daisy

Daisy and Fiona

Baby Robin

Robin all grown up

Scarlett "protecting" her sister...she was a rescue, and very timid.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've never had one, but I've wanted a rattie forever. I hate it teir undeserved reputation.

I will have a pair someday. For now I will have to appease myself with pictures. lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 4 rats as of yesterday (3 girls and 1 manly man) I lost my little girl Gypsy yesterday
I miss her terribly

Gypsy sleeping on Marla

I also have one male mouse. I've had him since he was about 2 weeks old. A kid I work with told me her snake got away and it's food was still in the cage. I took him home and hand fed him until he became the big strong mousie he is now

The night I brought him home

All of my fur kids are rescues and most of them came to me in bad shape. I don't think I can get anymore after this group because I'm trying to save money to buy a house and all that grown up stuff. I know I'll eventually take some more in whenever I can.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Everyone who posted pics of their sweet ratties, thank you! It brightened my day

·
Registered
524 Posts
Right now I'm down to only Timothy the guinea pig. In the past I've had rats, mice, hamsters and chins. I want to arrange to foster rats but my life is in a bit of a flux right now. I think fostering would be amazing so that I get the opportunity to know and love some little rodents without the wallet breaking vet expenses. Still the heartbreak when I have to let them go but I'll know that they're going to an excellent home with people who know about rodents.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
When I was younger, my family had gerbils, a guinea pig, and a rabbit. They are all deceased now. I think someday I will get a bunny again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a bunny and all I can say is POOP! lol If you get a male they try to ...love things a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These photos are really sweet!
I would like a baby mouse but I really don't know if I'd be able to devote myself enough, being busy and all...

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I know rabbits are no longer considered true rodents, but I have an 11-year-old neutered male. In the past I've had 2 other rabbits (a male mini-rex and a female of unknown breed- not at the same time!!!), 1 male hamster, and 5 female gerbils (one of whom died within about 2 months of my adopting them all). I was hoping to keep the gerbils together as a family but they didn't get along- I adopted them in two groups about a month apart, although they had been in the same cage at the shelter.

EDITED TO ADD: There are already threads for rat keepers and rabbit keepers, but nothing for rodents in general evidently.

LOVE the pictures people have posted!

I've gotten all my rodent companions from local shelters. If you have a specific breed or color in mind you might not be able to find that particular animal at a shelter, but I just wanted to give them homes and get to know them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmeat View Post

These photos are really sweet!
I would like a baby mouse but I really don't know if I'd be able to devote myself enough, being busy and all...
I know I love the pictures, keep 'em coming!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts