VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0301113345.htm

Quote:
Through a series of experiments, researchers from Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-Poly) aimed to increase understanding of collective animal behavior, including learning how robots might someday steer fish away from environmental disasters. Nature is a growing source of inspiration for engineers, and the researchers were intrigued to find that their biomimetic robotic fish could not only infiltrate and be accepted by the swimmers, but actually assume a leadership role.
This is really interesting! I hope it can be used to help save herd animals from natural disasters and keep them out of reach of other harmful things (like humans) one day.

·
Registered
753 Posts
pretty interesting

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oh crap, I thought they were going to use this as some sort of underhanded fishing technique. Lead schools of fish into big nets or some other trap. It made me happy to see that they're using this knowledge for good. (Sadly, I'm sure someone will think up using it to trap them in the future.)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I want these. I want them now. Except ones that look better, for pets.

It would be awesome if one day people could fully transition to having robot fish pets, in order to stop the aquatic pet trade.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I want these. I want them now. Except ones that look better, for pets.

It would be awesome if one day people could fully transition to having robot fish pets, in order to stop the aquatic pet trade.
That would be really cool. Fish are decorative pets anyway, and you wouldn't have to clean up robot fish poop

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought the other title
Robotic Ghost Knifefish Is 'Born'

was brilliant.

robotic fish hey!!!!
this is pretty great. guiding fish away from natural distasters, leading them into war. fish wars. war of the fishes.
etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts