VeggieBoards banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so? I'm guessing you label yourself a vegetarian/vegan or whatever. So if he personally feels thats what he is, why shouldn't he do it too? Or is this a 'i'm better than you because i'm a real vegetarian' thing? Why can't people just quit being so pathetic and stop labeling people and feeling all superior just because they choose not to consume products other people do or because they're true to the 'label'. Because tbh who cares anyway?!
A lot of people here are sensitive about this because when people who eat fish or chicken call themselves vegetarians, other people assume all vegetarians eat fish and chicken. Sometimes this results in being told that "Yes, there will be vegetarian food at this gathering" and then being handed a tuna sandwich. It is just a label, but the definition of the word clearly states "no meat" and you are misusing it if you say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Why shouldn't he label himself a vegetarian if he chooses to do so? I'm guessing you label yourself a vegetarian/vegan or whatever. So if he personally feels thats what he is, why shouldn't he do it too? Or is this a 'i'm better than you because i'm a real vegetarian' thing? Why can't people just quit being so pathetic and stop labeling people and feeling all superior just because they choose not to consume products other people do or because they're true to the 'label'. Because tbh who cares anyway?!
Personally, I don't have some fancy explanation why I object to it, I just think it's dumb. I also think it would be dumb if someone insisted that a strawberry was an avocado or that cars should be called Huxtables, and that would have nothing to do with feeling superior or whatever.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what to call him, but he certainly follows the spirit of ethical vegetarianism. In this case, I'm not that concerned with labels.

One can argue that he is denying natural scavengers of a food source... this may be true, but I don't see how this is really that different from a vegan's garden occupying space that some animal might have used to forage for food. We have to eat something, and the cool thing is, he's not killing animals for his food.

My only concern is that the meat he eats might not be sanitary. I think road-killed animals are a bit more likely to have been diseased; healthy animals are generally more alert and faster than ill ones, and are better able to avoid cars. True scavengers can handle such material, but I don't know about humans...

I think this guy is cool. Definitely not a vegetarian, and probably shouldn't call himself one, but I wouldn't jump on him for that. The concept of foraging for food seems to be gaining popularity lately, especially in the UK, and I'm happy to see more people speaking up for it and offering tips. I'm not enthusiastic about him using roadkill, I wouldn't eat meat however it was sourced, and I do share Tom's concerns about it being fit for human consumption. I find the argument about him potentially depriving natural scavengers of food a bit silly; he can't scourge the entire countryside and pick every single carcass, for one.

But at the end of the day, his effort is indeed benefiting the environment as well as the factory farmed animals he doesn't eat.

He's obviously not a vegetarian but I don't mind that he calls himself one. People might recoil at the thought of eating roadkill. But how is that so different from what's on their plate? There are obviously health and sanitation issues but sometimes it doesn't take much for people to make the connection.

And if you're going to eat meat I guess this is the most ethical way of doing it.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I think anyone who would scrap anything of the road and eat it, has got to have a screw loose whatever it is?.

We vegans and veggies have enough mockery thrown at us without encouraging it like he does.

I wouldn't call him a vegetarian any more than I'd call a vulture an herbivore, but I honesty don't see what's wrong with what he's doing. It might be kind of gross and I personally wouldn't eat his cooking, but I don't see anything ethically wrong with it.

He is NOT a vegetarian simple as.

Imagine going to dinner and someone saying "Here, i cooked you this fox I found at the side of the road, vegetarians eat roadkill, right?"

He is a more compassionate meat eater than the rest who hunt or but farmed but in no way shape or form a vegetarian. He can say he only purchases vegetarian food but it's not all he eats, even if it is all he buys.

Pretty simple concept, no?

Ethically or from some peoples concept of karma there is are no problems with what he is doing .

He says

"Got issues with animal husbandry and wont eat creatures that are raised for slaughter "

No problems there

"ones killed by accident on roads are just another resource "

I assume he eats them because he goes on about the taste of this and that

He might have lost the plot in calling himself a vegetarian but what the heck hes just working out life how he sees it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

A lot of people here are sensitive about this because when people who eat fish or chicken call themselves vegetarians, other people assume all vegetarians eat fish and chicken. Sometimes this results in being told that "Yes, there will be vegetarian food at this gathering" and then being handed a tuna sandwich. It is just a label, but the definition of the word clearly states "no meat" and you are misusing it if you say otherwise.

I don't know, I thought it was a cool article. i have a friend who's now living in a yurt (used to be the gifted teacher at our school and is extremely gifted herself) who ate road kill. She's now gone, as they say, off the grid.

B

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.