VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post here in case anyone in the future looks them up.

Occasionally products have butter-like flavorings that have nothing to do with dairy in them so vegans can safely eat them. Unfortunately it looks like Nabisco haphazardly does not track the exact components of their foods, and the "garlic butter" variety of their ritz crackers is one of them.

I got a standard canned message from their customer service:
Quote:
I apologize but unfortunately this ingredient information is not currently available.
As you can imagine our products change frequently, and maintaining a list of products for specific dietary practices would be virtually impossible.
Actually no, I DON'T imagine it would be difficult to directly track the ingredients of a product you make. Hell, if I were on the company's legal team I'd insist on it. Someone could have some sort of reaction and die from the product and their company would be directly responsible. Pretty inexcusable if you ask me.

Avoid this product as we have no clue what is in it. This is unfortunate as their plain crackers apparently are "mostly vegan" as listed on peta's site.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
FWIW, it would need to be labeled as containing dairy, if it did. This doesn't mean that it's vegetarian or vegan necessarily, but you can find out about the dairy part.

This sort of response is fairly common from large processed food companies. While this sounds a bit rude, I think sometimes they just don't know (like companies who buy vitamin d from a third party, so they don't know the source)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's frustrating. We either risk the potential of investing in corporations that could be blindly abusive to animals or we spend three to four times as much for products from companies that make a statement they don't and we can barely afford to feed ourselves. I try to find 'accidentally vegan' food anywhere I can and this kind of response makes it very difficult.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Agreed that it can be a pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts