VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see it? I thought it was an awesome movie with a great message. I loved how they secretly put the animal rights issue in. People see the chimps being tested on in the movie. We vegans all know that happens, but everybody doesn't. Any thoughts on the film?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It looked absolutely ridiculous from the trailers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
do you mean good or bad? (sorry ridiculous and awesome can have the same meaning where i'm from)

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

do you mean good or bad? (sorry ridiculous and awesome can have the same meaning where i'm from)
Bad, haha. I thought the first remake was wicked corny too. I probably won't see it. I don't like movies with serious messages embedded in them. I like movies where my brain can sleep.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I just watched it this afternoon. The animal right message in the film is extraordinarily strong. I cried through the whole thing, except during the major action sequence. It was really beautiful and painful film. I hope that it plants the seeds in some people's minds that the way we treat non-humans is absolutely despicable.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Bad, haha. I thought the first remake was wicked corny too. I probably won't see it. I don't like movies with serious messages embedded in them. I like movies where my brain can sleep.
The one with Marky Mark?? C'mon that guy doesn't make any corny films especially masterpieces like The Happening.

I think this movie actually looks good. I like how it's a prequel and not just a copy of all the other ones. I'll probably be creeped out but the action looks awesome and it's James Franco and he's not chopping off one of his limbs!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I thought it was really good. I did not expect to like it at all. But I LOVED it.

Yes, I cried. Part of that was related to AR issues but part of that was related to race issues. You know, all these sci-fi films with different species that are just as smart as humans are supposed to be allegories about race. It's always interesting to watch these films from an AR perspective because the specieisism is so obvious that it's a stand-in for racism, yet so many people have a hard time seeing the speciesism even in that context! But in this film there's no mistake, it's an AR film.

Preview:

One of the stars speaks about the film and animal testing:
The clip shown in this video is one of the scenes that made me cry.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hmm. Maybe the previews make it look horribly horrible. I thought The Hangover would suck based on the trailer, and I was sure wrong about that!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I saw it and really liked it and was tearing up.....really liked the A.R. Message and the whole thing and I havent seen the other movies.

Peace

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I was shaky and almost crying for a while but that was because I am very scared of apes and larger monkeys.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
You know what, i thought it was going to be stupid when my friends proposed going to see it. I hadn't seen any trailers, and they told me it was going to be gorillas throwing man hole covers at cop cars, with explosions. So when heading in I was ready to face palm, but WOW. What a great film. Loved it! I had to hold back tears a couple of times. Go Caesar!

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

What? The 2001 remake was a masterpiece! Everything about it was cinematic, even down to the soundtrack. I can't image anyone not liking it.

I still need to see the new one. I'm sure it will be great.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I have not seen it but my sister did and she said she was very surprised as it wasn't what she expected. She said it was really good and makes you think. She is not a veg or AR person at all...
I will see it when it comes out on DVD as I can't afford going to movies in the theater.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My husband and I loved it. GREAT anti-animal testing message. We really hope they make more movies in this reboot of the series!

Plus James Franco =

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

What? The 2001 remake was a masterpiece! Everything about it was cinematic, even down to the soundtrack. I can't image anyone not liking it.
I really can't stand Mark Wahlberg.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
The one review I read mentioned that the bad guys aren't just misguided miscreants but rather thoroughly evil. I don't mind sharply delineated good guys and bad guys but I really prefer bad guys with SOME chance at redemption.

Won't make a trip to a theatre, but I'll probably pick it up when it comes out on DVD.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts