VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about three weeks ago my little boy found a caterpillar crawling across our deck. at first we put it in a jar just to look at for a little while, but our boy soon begged us to let him keep it. my husband and i both had successes with keeping caterpillars through their cocoon phases and watching them hatch out as moths/butterflies, so after a brief discussion (wherein i expressed my heisitancy because i believe that once you "adopt" another living creature you are completely responsible for anything that happens to it afterwards), we decided that as long as the boy promised to give the caterpillar fresh leaves every day, and kept the jar in a safe spot, it would be alright, and even a fun little experiment for him.

those three weeks were great! the caterpillar even molted once for us, and we spent an afternoon examining the discarded skin and head-casing under my boy's microscope. very educational. the caterpillar ate well, and my kids loved checking in on it every day and giving it fresh leaves and tiny sprinklings of water.

but tonight disaster struck when somehow the baby managed to pull the jar down from it's spot on the shelf, unscrew the cap, and pull the caterpillar out. this was while my boy was watching television and i was doing the dishes. she was only trying to love it, i know, but her chubby, uncooridinated little fingers pinched it too hard and poor "spider-climber" (as my son named it) was squished.

my son was so upset -- he cried for an hour. and i felt really sad and guilty too (see first paragraph), and we had a good cry and now we need to go bury poor little spider-climber out in the backyard.

poor thing.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It is impossible to keep babies out of trouble every second. I am glad that your baby is okay...sorry about the caterpillar though.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
It was good whilst is lasted I suppose and at least your baby now

knows about the fact of death and that butterflies do not live very

long anyway, but nice whilst it lasted, even though this particular

caterpillar came to a quick end before its time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Poor caterpillar...accidents happen though. Babies are sneaky creatures anyway, so it wasn't your fault or your son's or even the baby's. It's just "time and unforseen occurance". At least your son learned something new, even if it was for a short period of time. Hugs to you both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts