VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys do it without making a mess and/or spilling a lot of quinoa onto the floor/into the sink? most strainers seem to be too big, the quinoa would go right thru the holes. doing it over tea towels makes the little grains stick to the towels and i hate wasting that much food. what do i do? i like quinoa but it's such a hassle!

·
Registered
904 Posts
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...523,74,00.html

"Quinoa's survival through the millennia may be attributed to the resinous, bitter coating that protects its seeds from birds and insects--and also shields them from the intense high-altitude sunlight. This coating, called saponin, is soapy and must be removed in a strong alkaline solution to make the grain palatable. Most quinoa sold in this country has already been cleansed of its saponin. But quinoa should be rinsed thoroughly before cooking to remove any powdery residue of saponin. Place the grain in a fine strainer and hold it under cold running water until the water runs clear; drain well."

That should explain it better than I can.

Katieq, I just use a fine strainer like the one's in the bakery section of a store. Sorry I couldn't help.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Well, you have to look around for a fine mesh strainer. One small enough to keep the grains from slipping through.

Until you do, here's an idea that I tried. It may sound crazy, but here goes. Buy one of those "permanent" coffee filters, like for a drip electric coffee maker. That has a metal mesh with super-fine holes. It works fine, but will only allow you to rinse a little quinoa (maybe a cup) at a time. But that's probably all you need to rinse at one time anyway. These filters cost $5 to $8. And you can always use them for your coffee after you find an appropriate strainer for your quinoa.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Large sieves/strainers work great and are usually available at dollar stores. Also Ecko housewares has a lot of outlet stores around and they make a strainer with a "metal frame" and the "bowl" portion looks just like window screen material (like a sieve) and should be fine enough for anything.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I use a sieve. To get the saponin off though, instead of rinsing it, I cook it in the seive, and the water turns yellow about halfway through cooking, then I just tip the water out, and continue cooking with new water. It may be a weird technique, but it works.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

I use a sieve. To get the saponin off though, instead of rinsing it, I cook it in the seive, and the water turns yellow about halfway through cooking, then I just tip the water out, and continue cooking with new water. It may be a weird technique, but it works.
Loki, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The saponin is washed off, but you're supposed to rinse it to get rid of any residue. I cook it whilst wahsing it in the seive, and that seems to work for me. The water turns yellowish, so there's probably osmething that come soff of the quinoa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts