VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really missed VB...

I just got to LA after 2.5 days on the bus clear across the USA. It was quite an adventure.

I'm glad I packed veggie sandwiches, because there was VERY little for me to eat at the places we stopped. I even got real bacon bits on a garden salad once! who does that??

Americans, do you recycle? I have not seen one single recycle bin. However, I saw tons and tons of American flags, more than we'd have of Canadian flags here. I was disappointed not to see one single Canadian flag though.

So I am in LA, and I'll keep you posted on the veg*n restaurants I try out.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Oh, ok... I see. We fly a few US flags here as well on the East coast of Canada.

Just pure speculation, but it "may" be in part due to some tension among the two countries these days over our lack of support for the US action in Iraq.

But, in my experience... most of the US is simply patrotic to their own country and its something I've always noticed and respected when visiting there.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by superjane

I really missed VB...

I just got to LA after 2.5 days on the bus clear across the USA. It was quite an adventure.

I'm glad I packed veggie sandwiches, because there was VERY little for me to eat at the places we stopped. I even got real bacon bits on a garden salad once! who does that??

Americans, do you recycle? I have not seen one single recycle bin. However, I saw tons and tons of American flags, more than we'd have of Canadian flags here. I was disappointed not to see one single Canadian flag though.

So I am in LA, and I'll keep you posted on the veg*n restaurants I try out.
Welcome. Let me know if you need restaurant companionship or information, and/or if you plan on going to Universal Studios, where work as of today.

epski

@

pacbell

.net

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You're in LA and you haven't visited *me* yet?!

Umm.. my whole town has a major recycling program. Big purple bins & everything. It hasn't gotten to LA proper yet, though. Who knows if it ever will.

And I don't have a Canadian flag, but my old roommate did on his door. I do have a Scottish flag in my office, though.

Hope you're enjoying your stay.

Mskedi

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hehe. Yes Americans recycle. And yes we fly Canadian flags. In fact, I have one in my living room....of course I was born there, so maybe thats different.
But there are a few businesses around that fly them too.

How long are you in LA for? I hope you have a great time. There is tons of things to do there from the beach to the mountains to shopping if you are into that to tons more.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
you are the coolest. i got scared riding it from eugene oregon to seattle. i cant imagine the whole country.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
the ppl on the bus. there were many wierdos on the bus. they would glare and then come and sit next to me and ask wierd q's. i dont really like confrontation so i would try to just be nice (not too bright back then). then at the stops one guy followed me and offered me cookies that his mom made him which was a nice gesture but a bit creepy too. stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
eesh. no way. have you hitched before???! i have taken offered rides back in my late teens when my car would brake down and i got sick of walking. luckily nothing bad ever came of it but i cant imagine that or hitching now. yeah. that would be scary.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
I haven't, but I had a friend in college who would go up to Alaska to work at the fisheries every summer, and he hitched and caught trains (hobo-style) all the way up from L.A.

Had a Jack London lifestyle. Reminds me how rooted to expectations I am from time to time. I always romanticized about joining him just for the experience, but I was too afraid of the impact such a disappearance would have on the life I'd established for myself at school (my extra-curricular activities kept me very busy all year-round).

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
I never really understood that about you yan . . . (backspace backspace backspace)(happy?) americans. Whats with all the flags? I dont own any, not even an Aus one. hmmm, I did make a point to get one a while ago . . . but it never happened. bugger. maybe next pay.

·
Banned
6,927 Posts
I've seen a lot of people wearing clothes with the US flag on it here in this country. But sticking to the topic.....

I was on a suburban train once, and there was a woman across from me, asleep on the seat. Suddenly she got up, walked to the end of the train carriage (a few metres away from where I was sitting) and dropped her pants to start defecating.

Needless to say, I was gone in a flash.

Here where I live hitch-hiking is common, due to lack of public transport. I've done it often (I've even had the Police give me a lift), and I've picked up plenty of hitch-hikers..... some guys I kept seeing the same time each week and giving them a ride (they were always drunk, too).

I've become a lot more hesitant about picking people up, but not about sticking my thumb out (one time I was walking in temperatures of 115+ but no-one would stop..... finally someone did as I was about to pass out (I was making my way to a battery Hen protest and was gonna get to it even if it killed me)).

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
i remember when i worked at Mohawk truck wash, i always told my boss he shoudl take down the american flag we have out front. maily because they dont have any of our flags flying up high on there posts. i never understood why we should give a **** about there flags when they dont even have any of ours. i have never seen a canadian flag in the states, and thats something that irks me. then again this was 2.5 years ago, and maby i have changed and maby i havent

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
I'm curious. Why would it irk you that establishments wouldn't fly a Canadian flag if they are located in America? For what purpose would they fly a Canadian flag? I mean, I can see flying a Canadian flag in Canada and an American flag in America, but I wouldn't expect a Canadian to fly an American flag or vice-versa.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.