VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this very yummy recipe that uses ricotta cheese, I can substitute everything else in the recipe easily, but I am not sure about ricotta cheese.

It is for a Vegetable tortilla lasagne I found on the Internet.

HELP !!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I substitute riccota with firm tofu. Before I add it to the lasanga, I saute the tofu with garlic, onion, oragano, salt and pepper. Sometimes I mix a little soy "parmesan cheese" into it too.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Baby

I substitute riccota with firm tofu. Before I add it to the lasanga, I saute the tofu with garlic, onion, oragano, salt and pepper. Sometimes I mix a little soy "parmesan cheese" into it too.
Oh that is a wonderful idea, thank you very much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
hi, i posted this earlier under tofu substitutes for fave items. this is really good.

i make mock ricotta easily with a recipe from the american vegetarian cookbook from the fit for life kitchen.

1 lb firm tofu

1/3 cup olive oil

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp seasoned salt or ground rock salt ( i use regular salt, there is a low sodium kind)

1/4 tsp salt free seasoning (i use mrs. dash)

place 3/4 tofu in blender w/ remaining ingredients. blend until thick and smooth. mash the remaining tofu into the blended mixture.

this is good in lasagna, or shells. i keep it cold and use it over spiral pasta w/ sauce.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i usually crumble firm tofu into a saucepan, add 1 tub of tofutti cream cheese, 1 tabelspoon of nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup veganaise, garlic powder, black pepper and fresh parsley... it comes out unbelievably good (but not so healthy) the recipr can be adapted as a cannoli filling by mixing tofu, cream cheese, sucanat, almond extract and marzipan paste/cocoa powder

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I usually make this in place of ricotta:

1 lbs firm regular tofu, drained and well mashed

2/3 cup vegan mayo

1 1/2 T fresh parsley, minced

2 tsp dried basil

2 tsp onion granules

1 tsp garlic granules

1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

It turns out pretty well - good enough to make stuffed shells & satisfy omnis...

amy

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by OregonAmy

I usually make this in place of ricotta:

1 lbs firm regular tofu, drained and well mashed

2/3 cup vegan mayo

1 1/2 T fresh parsley, minced

2 tsp dried basil

2 tsp onion granules

1 tsp garlic granules

1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

It turns out pretty well - good enough to make stuffed shells & satisfy omnis...

amy
I may try this cause it sounds like it may have fewer calories.. but all ideas are awsome

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I saw on some show ("Eat to live"? "Eat for life"? Something like that) that to substitue ricotta, you just take soft tofu and add some olive oil to it and then mash it up. I don't know how it tastes, but it looked pretty good. The lady then mixed it with an egg replacer and soyParm combo. She didn't mention the egg replacer brand, but I'm thinking it was Ener-G that she used because the proportion sounded right for that product. It was for a lasagne recipe and even though she didn't seem to use a lot of spice, I bet that adding some Italian-style spice to the tofu mix would give it a nice kick.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I don't like most suggestions for ricotta subs becuase they may get the texture right but not the flavour... which is slightly sweet. But if we had a decent vegan cream cheese (the only one I've found has casein) I'd make that recipe of waywardmelinda's!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many thanks to these posts for ricotta substitutes. When I tried the PETA link, it was no longer available.

I found another recipe at http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=28812.0, which I adapted. I'm using the ricotta substitute in a black bean and corn casserole, so am not real interested in it tasting "Italian." I adapted the recipe to:

1 package tofu

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic

juice of 1 small lemon

1/4 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1- Using your hands, crumble tofu in a large bowl

2- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper

3- Mash everything together until no tofu chunks remain and mixture is more the consistency of ricotta (about 2 minutes)

4- Add oil and nutritional yeast and mix together using a fork

5- Set aside until needed in recipe

I just omitted the basil and oregano. This worked great!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby View Post

sounds yummy I am gonna try that with my famous cheese lasagna....thats now cheeseless since I went vegan....thankies

Have a Hippie Labor Day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.