VeggieBoards banner

Rich's Reviews Tofurky Roast

8K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  rabid_child 
#1 ·
Tofurky- I was in Trader Joe's and saw a box of a Tofurky Roast the price was right $8.99 so I decided it was something PoesÃ*a and I needed to try.

I/we followed the directions to the tea, including their basting sauce and we accompanied it with Mashed Potatoes, green beans, corn and mushroom gravy.

Review:

Tofurky- Truly horrible, the stuffing sucked and the turkey had the taste of old overcooked soles of shoes. I highly recommend Chicken breasts, yes they might be hokey with their fake drumsticks and wings, but the taste is about 3,000% better. They can be purchased at http://www.vegieworld.com/h006/h006.htm

On a scale of 1-10 I give Tofurky roast a 2

#3 ·
Unfortunately, my first encounter with Tofurkey was last Thanksgiving, when I made the roast, stuffing, gravy and "drumsticks" for my family. Dont remember how much I paid, but considering it was Thanksgiving I dont recall it being any great bargain...

Now, Rich, I really think you are doing this product justice by calling it "old overcooked soles of shoes"....not to mention the entire family agreed that it looked like it was wrapped in a sock.

I followed the directions to a t, even used some extra sage & turkey seasonings...but it was just dreadful. Good thing I made lots of sides to keep everyone happy and satisfied so T-Day was not a complete wash!

I say furk tofurkey!

#5 ·
I liked the gravy and the "meat" but I remember the drumsticks were way too salty.

Rich- That is a great site. Now I know where to go to get vegetarian eel, squid, or duck! I think that stuff is what they use at the Zen Cuisine place I got to with all the crazy fake meats.

#6 ·
I was in a hurry to get to class so I couldn't elaborate. It does look like it's cooked in a sock but I like the taste of it. Sure it's not as "good" as the real thing but whatever. I love the gravy, we usually order extra gravy with ours. Those little drumsticks are just plain nasty. And the jerky is a nice little treat. Overall good stuff in my opinion.

#9 ·
Tofurky blows!!!!

There's my review. No offense to your personal taste, Michael. Seriously folks, you have to check out some of the stuff at May Wah (www.vegieworld.com). Don't be offended by some of the "meat" names. A lot gets lost in translation sometimes from Chinese to English and it's just the way products wind up being described sometimes. We have cooked UNBELIEVABLE stuff with these products. They're so much cheaper and tastier than any similar products that are out there.

We can make reccomendations if anyone is serious about ordering from them. I can describe the products to you and tell you how I've used them in recipes.

You gotta try the Veggie Fish Ham. What the *bleep* is a Fish Ham?!?!? I don't know either but it's really tasty.

#10 ·
ha...i've got that site bookmarked for some reason...i never order food offline.

anyway, i just came from dinner at the buddhist vegetarian restaurant in vancouver's chinatown. they serve all those mock meats. one's we've been too scared to try were mock tripe, mock duck's gizzard and mock fish belly.
maybe one day.

the prices are right there, and the food is unbelievable. my favourite dishes are shredded ****ake mushrooms in black bean sauce and the spicy eggplant hot pot. my son loves the lemon 'chicken', and my mom is a huge fan of their dim sum menu. mmmmm...shrimp dumplings and turnip cakes.

uh...so yeah.

if you come to vancouver, eat there. heh.

(PS - i almost paid $30 CDN for a tofurky roast with all the fixin's last thanksgiving but decided against it after reading all the terrible reviews by veggies i know. i bought yves turkey slices, rolled them around homemade stuffing, basted them with oil, and baked for about 20 minutes at 400, just to heat it up. served with a homemade gravy and all the other sides, and it was delicious. and it cost me about $15 CDN to feed six plus children.

#11 ·
Kreeli that's really creative, i think i'll try that sometime. i was going to try tofurkey now that i found a store that sells it, but after reading this thread maybe i won't after all.

#12 ·
Yeah. I'm feeling similarly.

I have never tried a Tofurkey. When I was visiting Majake they had 'slices' of Tofurkey, and that was ok. It was a little bit creepily like meat though.

Down there they also had small sized Tofurkey roasts for under $10, whereas up here you can only get the $40 giant ones. I dunno about that. Especially since I am the sort of person who just cannot force myself to eat something I discover I really don't like.

I think mebbe that link has the sort of stuff they sell at the store under our dimsum place here in ChinaTown...

#13 ·
Yep those are the same products for sure. I have wanted to try them, but wasn't sure if they'd be disgusting, so i haven't yet. Perhaps when I go with my friend Lisa to Dim-sum tomorrow I'll get something.

So what are your top picks from this company then? (incase they don't have everything, I'll have a choice).

#14 ·
p.s.: For X-mas and Thanksgiving I do not rely on Turkey substitutes. Whereas last year my mum made me a nut roast, I often just bring a vegetarian Tourtiere. ("meat" pie). It's really good, and very festive. Made with seitan and spiced with a bit of nutmeg and other tasties. mmm mmm.

Mebbe this year I will try Kreeli's Turkey boats though. Sounds yummie. They have a really nice (coincidentally veggie) 'wild mushroon' gray I like to use. It would be great with that.

#15 ·
I agree. I have never, ever missed turkey-substitute at Thanksgiving in my whole life. There's so much food at T-giving other than turkey or turkey substitute that I absolutely do not need it or want it. Having soy products (mock chicken type of thing) at T-giving has been a recent development over the past few years and only because I was not the only one who liked it in my family.

Once, my Mom made me a caserole from Linda McCartney's cookbook (God rest her soul) and it was so horrible that she threw it out on the lawn for the animals and even the crows would not eat. That was nasty.

Avalon - Rich is posting our picks from May Way (vegieworld.com) under the thread Recipes & Food Discussions: May Wah Picks. I'll try to add more info. as to the description of products and how I've used them after he posts.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

i bought yves turkey slices, rolled them around homemade stuffing, basted them with oil, and baked for about 20 minutes at 400, just to heat it up. served with a homemade gravy and all the other sides, and it was delicious. and it cost me about $15 CDN to feed six plus children.
Sounds good. I might try that this year. How many packs of the 'turkey' slices did you buy? I'm sure I wouldn't need a whole lot since I'll be the only one eating them..

leftovers are always nice though.

#17 ·
i think i ended up using two. there's 8 or 9 slices in each pack, so that worked out to two rolls per person. it worked really well. just be generous with the oil.
you could even try using the glaze i put on the stuffed tofu roast on veganmania for something especially decadent.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PoesÃ*a

Avalon - Rich is posting our picks from May Way (vegieworld.com) under the thread Recipes & Food Discussions: May Wah Picks. I'll try to add more info. as to the description of products and how I've used them after he posts.
must point out though, i checked the site and it says no shipping outside of the US.

#20 ·
Yeah, we saw that. That sucks. Rich suggested that we could pick up whatever you want and mail it to you. Actually, he went there yesterday and said to me, "I wish I could get a bag of veggie chicken balls for Lady Faile." Awww. He's kinda cute sometimes. Seriously though, we're happy to do it.

#21 ·
lol no it's alright. i just mentioned it here cause Avalon's also in Canada. it's a rather large site to go through to find out afterwards that you can't order lol

i know of one restaurant an hour or so away that sells all kinds of vegan chinese food, including chicken balls. apparantly they're really good. i'll have to go sometime and try it, and maybe find out where they get their stuff from or if they make it themselves.

right now though i'm just keeping an eye out for a vegan stuffing recipe to go with those turkey rolls

#24 ·
that's actually very similar to my mom's stuffing, minus the almonds and raisins.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RedWolf90

I like Yves turkey (even though it looks like cardboard
).

But there is a better brand, I think its called Smart Deli,

which tastes more like the "real thing".

N E way, that sounds good, Kreeli, I'll have to try it.
I just found that out. I tried the Yves ones tonight, and I think the Smart Deli ones taste more like the real thing also. These are good too though, kind of like a smoked-type turkey.

And Kreeli, one more guestion--did you wrap the slices around stuffing that had already been cooked? If so, doesn't the extra cooking dry it out? I've decided to go ahead and make these, so I want them to turn out fairly decent. This looks to be the first year that I'll have a complete holiday dinner, since I've stopped eating meat. My mouth is watering!

#26 ·
be generous with your oil.

the extra cooking time is just long enough to heat everything through...not long enough to dry it out. but if it was going to dry out, the oil and/or basting sauce would help prevent that.

let me know what you think!

(p.s. - i've never seen a 'smart deli' product here!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.