VeggieBoards banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
There is a product called "Veat" which is available in 1/2 chicken shaped "molds."

Its not vegan (contains whey), but it really does taste like chicken! Same flavor and texture.

It would make a good transitional food for a new vegetarian.

Older veggies might find the similarity a bit *too* much to stomach!

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Its not vegan (contains whey), but it really does taste like chicken! Same flavor and texture.

It would make a good transitional food for a new vegetarian.

Older veggies might find the similarity a bit *too* much to stomach!

Actually, as a recent carnovore I found that it tasted most like seitan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

they serve all those mock meats. one's we've been too scared to try were mock tripe, mock duck's gizzard and mock fish belly.
maybe one day.
Eeew!! That reminds me of a vegan friend on another site who eats vegan haggis. I think they market it in the UK. Ick!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rich and I go for Dim Sum at all-vegetarian Chinese resturants quite often and we recently tried the vegetarian jelly fish. It was AWESOME! Now, I never ate real jelly fish and I don't know what it tastes like and I don't care to but this stuff is really good.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaxJesus View Post

I just found that out. I tried the Yves ones tonight, and I think the Smart Deli ones taste more like the real thing also. These are good too though, kind of like a smoked-type turkey.

And Kreeli, one more guestion--did you wrap the slices around stuffing that had already been cooked? If so, doesn't the extra cooking dry it out? I've decided to go ahead and make these, so I want them to turn out fairly decent. This looks to be the first year that I'll have a complete holiday dinner, since I've stopped eating meat. My mouth is watering!
Smart Deli is awesome! Much better then Yves.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wow, I was going to get a Tofurkey for the first time this year because I love their deli slices and jerky, but I think I'll pass. Someone mentioned Bryanna Clark-Grogan's roast recipe, I think I'll make that. Her stuff is far and away some of the greatest recipes I've tried. Her low-fat, fat-free vegan mayo, sour cream, Irish stew, bran muffins, and mousaka have been staggeringly awesome, and cheap to make.

If anyone wants to make their own holiday "roast" check out her book The Almost No-Fat Holiday Cookbook. Don't let the "No-Fat" scare you though, everything is awesome. She's got a good recipe for a basic bread stuffing in there too.

BTW, Mrs. Cubbison's makes a standard herb bread stuffing and a cornbread stuffing that are very tasty and vegan. You can doll them up pretty easily too.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Okay... riight... a lot of that stuff...

wait.. no

ALL of that stuff on that webpage frightened me.

Especially things like vege gizzard, and vege ham (chicken flavour)

I'll stick with tofu.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.