VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...... ok I had to do that but in all seriousness, what happened to the sports threads? There used to be some when the force was strong in this one. I remember talking baseball with KC, Michael and lots of other heads. I also remember football (both college and pro) talk. As much as I get that a percentage of veg'ans are not into "mainstream" sports ( and that would have included me at one point in my life) I've gotten to where I like sports (well ok, as much as I like Scrabble or Sorry I've never broken a sweat playing) and have gotten comfortable wit the fact that I'm a big contradiction (well according to some). I don't eat, wear or use animal products or things that contain them, I like to cook, garden, read, play role playing games, and also love baseball and to a lesser extent, other sports. Heck, my profession is traditionally female (teaching). Getting my masters 75% of the classes were women.Anyways I degress. I like things that are "manly" and those that are less so. Sue me. As a result I wanna restart a sports talk thread. So have at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are there any baseball fans out there? Post favorite team(s), fav player and why? Did you play in high school or college? position? I'll start.

I divided it up into American League and National League because aside for the short 2 weeks of interleague the teams don't play and the Designated Hitter rule in AL makes the rules slightly different as well as changes the way the game can be played. Also some NL fans dispise the AL because of the DH rule.

American League

Athletics, hands down. My Grandpa (and Grandma) raised me on baseball. Grandpa played in a Seniors league well into his 60's and Grandma taught me to keep score and record scores and plays like the officials do.

There are other AL teams I respect and will root for unless they're playing the A's or the game has significance for the A's, i.e. if Boston wins the A's are eliminated from the postseason. Boston used to be higher on this list but they won their series so Phthtththt. I was rooting for Detroit all year and they were one of my World Series picks. The White Sox had a similar place last year and they have a great rotation though they struggled some this year. Twins and Baltamore have similar places as does Tampa Bay (for what ever reason they play the A's hard). The Angels have my respect because they're a good teams and good rivalries are fun. Plus they drafted and developed my favorite player but more on that later.

National League

Giants, I guess. They are the "other" Bay Area team and my Dad is from Burlingame. I do like to bait Giants fans who talk trash though asking when they're gonna win a World Series in the state of California.

Other's include Mets, since they're the OTHER NY team,Brewers 'cause my "Uncle Len" was a fan and we'd go to games with him and his son when they played the A's. The Cubs because underdogs rule, annual ones rule more and ones with a curse are even more fun. The Cards since my Favorite player plays for them and I like the manager.

As who my favorite player is, he's David Eckstein, the Cardinals short short stop. His whole life he was told you're to small to play pro sports (he's 5'6 and 135lbs.) put he kept being just good enough. He's also an getting on base machine and can control the strike zone quite well. I did play baseball in high school (shortstop/relief pitcher,)I didn't have time in college though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts