VeggieBoards banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently visited an small organic farm nearby to buy some produce and tour the facilities. We were near the tomato plants and someone discovered a tomato hornworm. Instead of tossing it aside or carrying it away or even killing it quickly, he proceed to slice it open and let it writhe on a post. I grabbed a rock and said "here let me finish killing it so it doesn't writhe in pain all day."<br><br>
I understand that people don't like sharing their gardens with other animals, but I wish more people could just have a little bit of reverence for life.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's so horrible that they'd do that! Especially in front of people touring your facilities.<br><br>
We get frogs in our garden, but we put then up on the wall near our blackberry plants and near our neighbours fence, so they hop over there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
EW I would have walked away from the tour vegan or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All peaple think differently or ( Lack the thinking part) But i disagree what they did also atleast you were there to make sure it didnt sffer in misery... I dont try to kill many animals sch as insects... i have a garden of my own and if theve already gotten to that part or tomatoe ect.. watever it is i just pull that part of plant away put it on ground and let the animal finish his meal yes hes taken a vegtable of mine but look of all the things we have taken from our earth and them.. Its good to give back sometimes

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good on you for being vocal about it, it's really sick that they would let the poor thing suffer like that. I realize not everyone cares enough to relocate, but at LEAST have the decency to kill it quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My other half was like that with snails in the garden (As snails pose a lung worm risk to our dogs). He used to pick them up and just throw them, full pelt. I pick them up, and place them on the other side of the fence. I have 'suggested' that this is a kinder way to remove them. He listened to me luckily, but it does upset me when people are so disrespectful of life, like it's 'just' a bug so it is unworthy of a little decency.<br><br>
I think you did the right thing, though it must have been horrible for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Too bad there is always so little sympathy for insects and small creatures.

·
Registered
0 Posts
We had mice running rampant in our house last spring. You could hear them scurrying on the backside of the old fashioned tin ceiling. I caught everyone of them in a bucket in the space of three days, and released them at the edges of the woods where the snow was melted in the sunshine and I left food for them. When flies get in the house, I trap them under a glass and carry them outdoors. Slugs get carried to the other side of the road and my garden will be fenced so that the bunnies can't get in and eat things. When I was telling my aunt about the mice, she said 'you shouldn't just let them go, they'll come back. You should have killed them' and I said to her, that they couldn't help being born mice so I can't kill them'. Same goes for little bugs and stuff, they can't help being born bugs. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG', LIVE AND LET LIVE, DOES NOBODY CARE?

·
Registered
586 Posts
exactly! insects and spiders and such aren't maliciously eating your garden and coming into your home. they don't know any better. if it's food, it's food. they don't have a concept of property, and frankly if it's something that would occur naturally in nature, neither do i. my garden is just as much everyones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's so sad! I love hornworms, and so I tend to just leave them on the tomatoes, as I've never gotten enough to damage the plant to the point where I wasn't getting more than enough fruit for myself. If I need to remove them I just snip a branch and put them in another area of the garden.<br><br>
Even when I was still an ignorant omnivore I refused to kill bugs. From a very young age I adored bugs. I think too many people forget that bugs are just as much alive as a puppy. If someone did the equivalent of what that man did, but to a puppy they would be hauled off for animal abuse, and everyone would be disgusted. I've always had a problem with the whole "it's considered a pest, so it's okay to kill it" thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts