VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread but I was wondering if some of you would be willing to tell me which reusable bags you recommend. There seems to be a ton of options out there and I don't know which ones are worth buying and which ones aren't. I'm looking for bags that are reasonable big and sturdy. I would like to know anything you have to say about them: the brand you recommend, the material, links? etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I live at least 75 miles from any decent grocery store (as in a store with good produce/healthy stuff) and no Trader Joes in my state. No health food stores, no farmer's market in my town. Basically the only grocery store within a reasonable distance is Wal-mart (yes I'm unfortunately serious, well one other grocery store besides Wal-mart) it sucks but I'm stuck here since I'm a grad student. When I can move, I'm moving out of state and to a city with more choices. I'd rather not buy reusable bags from Wal-mart, they don't seem very strong.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
All of my bags come from health food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts Farmers Market), so I don't think I can help you. Were you looking to buy online?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well since I'm very limited in terms of stores, I think it would probably be best to buy online but then you have the issue of not really knowing if the ones you bought are durable or not so I'm hoping someone can recommend some to me

A Whole Foods is coming to a city in my state but it's about 75 miles away, still I think a trip there every 2-3 months is what I will be doing because it's not all that far from my parents house so if I visit them I'll likely go shopping. Should I just buy them from Whole Foods?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
You might be able to find some sturdy reusable cotton or canvas bags if you do some searching online.

Unless you're ethically opposed to buying shopping bags from Wal-Mart, if you're a grad student and expect to be moving away at some point, you might consider buying the Wal-Mart bags. They're probably cheap enough to stock up. If you're careful not to overload them with a lot of heavy items, they'll last you until you can get some sturdier bags elsewhere.

ETA: Unfortunately a lot of the reusable bags that are being sold nowadays are made from cheap plastic. If you search online, make sure you look for cotton or canvas bags as they're sturdier and will last longer. I have several of them and use those as well as the cheaper ones.

They will be heavier, though, which when full will make it a bit of a chore to carry around. The only advantage to the cheap plastic bags is that they're much lighter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that is what Walmart's bags are, cheap plastic and if I have replace plastic with plastic, I want to be sure that I'll get more than a few months of use out of them. I have a feeling that they wouldn't last very long. I'd rather pay more for better made bags (even if it is actually plastic) and have them last a long time then buy cheap plastic bags that are going to be garbage in 3 months. So I guess canvas, cotton, or hemp would probably be ideal. Whenever I do move, if my bags are still in good shape, I can always take them with me.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I've had all of my reusable bags for 3+ years and they're still going strong. My TJ ones have held up great, they're the ones I bought first and tend to grab when I'm only bringing in 2-3 bags.

They don't seem very sturdy, but they are. I've definitely got my 99 cents use out of them. You can check ebay for TJ bags.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, all of my reusable bags are from health food stores. In my opinion, if you don't want to buy from walmart, buying online will be best.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
The only reusable bag I bought that didn't hold up was a cheap plastic bag I got at Vons, a mainstream supermarket chain owned by Safeway. I jammed a large box of tissues into it and the box tore a large hole in the bag, rendering it unusable.
You just have to be careful with the cheap ones.

The one downside with the cotton bags is that if something you're carrying leaks into the bag, it can stain the bag. The plastic bags are easy to clean, but I've got at least three cotton bags that need more thorough washing because of ugly food stains.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i use cotton bags and they've lasted for a long time now. some are over 10 years old although they haven't been used continuously for that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

The one downside with the cotton bags is that if something you're carrying leaks into the bag, it can stain the bag. The plastic bags are easy to clean, but I've got at least three cotton bags that need more thorough washing because of ugly food stains.
that's never been a problem for me since i have to wash mine anyway due to cat hair

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My favorites are these ones:

http://www.envirosax.com/graphic-series.html

Here's why:
- they fold up small so I keep a few in my purse and rarely forget to bring bags to the store (I used to always forget the other kinds)
- they have big arm holes so you can carry them on your shoulders if you need to (which is handy if you have to walk/take the bus/train)
- they are attractive
- they are sturdy and hold a lot of stuff

These ones are really good too:

http://www.reuseit.com/store/acme-ba...-1500-p-1.html
The only thing about those that I don't like is that the handles have smaller arm holes so you have to hold them with your hands, not your shoulders.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i have6 walmart bags. they are .50 cents a piece thats about as cheap as your going to get lol. the blue ones are the cheapest and the black ones a re 1.00 a piece they are a little stronger. like i said i have 6 of them and only 1 has ripped so far and i use them a lot. it just ripped along the seam and i sewed it up and its good to go now. you may just want to get some of them until you move or whatever i really honestly havnt had any problems with them besides the one ripping

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

canvas bags are the sturdiest and last longest in my experience, they are easy to sew if you have basic sewing skills also a plus bc you can make the sizes you need.

here are some on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/search?search_su...ery&ship_to=US
This. I bought canvas ones from Stop & Shop in the 90s and I am still using them. Only one of them ever got a hole in them. Aside from shopping they are great for moving things like books

·
Registered
41 Posts
At home, we take reusable bags to the shop with us when we do the weekly shopping. The bags we have certainly aren't fashionable and they're old and battered but they serve their purpose
I'm not sure about other supermarkets but Sainsbury's reward customers with extra Nectar points if they use their own bags.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have walmart bags a few blue ones from there and green and black one that is more heavier there, I got it because a few weeks ago I shopped at a walmart store and got some stuff for Halloween and I forgot some decorating stuff for cake. So since we had so many bags then , the next day we had to go to another walmart for something and I got three bags there. Then I got 4 bags from my kroger's store and they are the same as walmarts and they are holding up. They are the best you can get until you move closer.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I buy bags from everywhere but the best and biggest I have bought have been from Costco & Aldi....but I love all my bags.

peace

1 - 20 of 24 Posts