VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this so please be patient with me as I ask a zillon questions and only answer on or two of yours. Here's my latest question, (actually my husband thought of this) What can we have in restaurants that will be vegan? And do coffee shops commonly offer soy milk upon request in drinks?

What are your favorite munchies you like to pack if you are going to be away from home for several hours?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Depends on the restaurant, I suppose. I'm finding Italian restaurants to be good for me. I always order angel hair pasta with broccoli sauteed in garlic and oil. Instead of butter on the bread (which is usually vegan) you can dip it in olive oil...seems to be the latest rage around here. I go so far as to pack my little lunch bag (the one from PETA that says 'no animals in here'). I have a tiny rubbermaid container that I put Earth Balance in and even vegan parmesan. I used to feel embarrrassed but now I bring stuff with me everywhere I go. And salads are also a good choice in restaurants. Specialty salads can be ordered by asking them to hold the meat/cheese.

Sometimes I will ask for sauteed mushrooms and onions on a bun if I"m in a chain restaurant that doesn't have many options. The main thing is you have to ask a lot of questions. At first I was uncomfortable doing that, but I'm getting much better at it. And don't ever assume anything. The times I forget to say, no cheese, are the times cheese comes on the most unlikely meals. Salsa and chips are safe, hummus, veggies. It may seem daunting at first, but you'll be surprised how much easier it gets with time.

AS far as snacks, I always carry nuts, vegan snack bars or fruit wherever I go.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Yes, you can soymilk at most coffee shops. Except Dunkin Donuts. I ask for it everytime I go there hoping they will take the hint.

I think it's cool, that the airport in Myrtle Beach has a coffee stand, I think it's Java Coffee, or something like that. I was there in September and asked if they had soymilk, and they did not. When I was there this past March, I thought I'd give it a try and this time they did have it! Yay for me!
So sometimes it pays off to be a nag and keep requesting it. Eventually places will get the hint. Except for DD apparently. They're still holding out.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Ethnic resturants are your best bet for good vegan food. Indian resturants you have to look out for butter (ghee), chinese/japanese resturants look out for fish/oyster sauce and meat broths, mexican look out for lard in the beans and cheese, and italian look out for egg in noodles and cheese. It's not so bad if you know what you're looking for and only have to ask one or two questions.

Many coffee shops have soymilk, you just gotta ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts