VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when a restaurant accidentally does something that makes your food not vegan? For example, your refried beans have cheese sprinkled on them or your pad thai has egg in it (these have both happened to me)? Do you ask them to make another one and have the dish thrown out? Do you let them know but eat it anyway? Do you just eat it? Let's assume it won't make you ill if you eat it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
These mishaps are why I pretty much only eat out at vegan restaurants.

When it has happened in the past, I rejected the food and sent it back. I suspect the staff probably eat it or take it home, as they do in many restaurants with botched or fake orders.

In retrospect, or if it happened again, I would ask, "Is this going to go to waste now, or will somebody take it home to eat it?", and if they said it would go to waste, I would have them box it up and find somebody to give it to where it may displace other non-vegan food.

If they actually had the audacity to put it on the bill, I would leave no tip, deduct the amount of that dish (I wouldn't pay for it) leave note, and walk out. If they tried to stop me, it would depend on how much time I had.

If I was in a rush, I would tell them they'll have to just give me the cash back and put the bill on my credit card, because I didn't plan to order or pay for that. If they charged my credit card, I would call the credit card company and contest the charge, and get them to charge-back the entire bill (so the restaurant wouldn't get anything).

Of course, in either case if they tried to charge me I'd never go there again.

I hope that helps give you some ideas
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raskolnikova

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
For me this doesn't happen because I only eat at vegan/vegan friendly restaurants but if if does it would depend no what the mishap was. If it's cheese I'll just eat it because I don't want it wasted but if it's something like meat I wouldn't eat it. I'd tell them I'm vegan and can't or to be a little easier I'd just say I'm allergic. Yeah that's a lie, but at least they're more likely to understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

If it's cheese I'll just eat it because I don't want it wasted
If you want to, you can probably prevent it from being wasted without eating it. Check my post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I'd tell them I'm vegan and can't or to be a little easier I'd just say I'm allergic. Yeah that's a lie, but at least they're more likely to understand.
Well, "allergic" is broadly used outside of the formal medical context. Some people who are gluten intolerant, for example, will say they are allergic and in a colloquial sense it's not strictly a lie. Same with cigarette smoke (it can be debilitating, can prevent people from breathing, etc. but it's not technically an "allergy")- really, it's fair usage outside of formal medical contexts.

You can even find the more informal usages listed in dictionaries:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/allergic

Quote:
al·ler·gic  [uh-lur-jik]
adjective

1. of or pertaining to allergy: an allergic reaction to wool.
2. having an allergy.
3. Informal . having a strong dislike or aversion: He's allergic to most modern music.

Origin:
1910-15; allerg(y) + -ic
In at least the third sense, it's fair to say that vegans are allergic to animal products. You could even say it's a moral or spiritual allergy, if pressed, and add to that the fact that, because you have not eaten it in so long, it would make you physically very ill (which is entirely true) in addition to the psychological effects.

I find that sometimes that's the only viable way to explain veganism in other languages and cultures in a way that will be understood and responded to.
 

·
adapt. evolve. become
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
This happened to me last week, I ordered a vegan burger at an all vegetarian restaurant - had cheese in it, but the waitress noticed and offered to replace it with no extra charge.
I just hope it didn't go to waste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

I just hope it didn't go to waste.
It was probably scooped up and devoured by one of the hungry serving staff the moment it got into the kitchen- or at least wrapped up in a few napkins and dropped in a backpack or purse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Raskolnikova

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
I mainly eat in vegan restaurants to avoid this kind of accidents, or at worst vegetarians. I also do it so that they got my money, it should help them and be more useful than if i go to another restaurant.

But i always say that i'm vegan from the begining, just before ordering, so that if there is a problem with ingredients, they have no excuse.

I always say, look, i told you i'm vegan, and i ordered something wich i thinked was vegan, but it appears it's not, you could have told me it's not or have replaced those ingredients, i'm sorry but i won't eat it, please bring me something vegan, thanks. Something like that. I'm genereally pissed off but i stay very polite, i want to show that vegans are coooool and a serious customer market, so i avoid being not nice.

First the point is look don't ignore the vegans, they represent a market and money, and as you said anyway eating real cheese or eggs after years and years of veganism doens't only goes against my beliefs but also makes me sometimes sick, my body just can't take it anymore dunno why exactly, it gives me some alergic reaction and i feel tired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, you all are lucky that you live within a close proximity to vegan and vegetarian restaurants. We don't have any where I live. Vepurusg, your suggestions are good. I've never had a restaurant charge me for a wrong order even if I carried it with me. However, I used to work in food and the food that was given to the staff wasn't necessarily always eaten even if it was promised to be. It really depended if the staff liked what was prepared and even then we wasted a lot of food which was upsetting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
I have found so far that the problem always seems to lie with ordering food at a non vegan place.
On Friday, I was at a place with my work staff for a holiday lunch. On the menu they had a hummus wrap with seasonal grilled veggies and a side of fruit. (thats exactly what it said) When I ordered, I specified that I would like no mayo on the wrap and no butter on the veggies. When it came out on my plate it had cheese in the wrap.
Dur.
She was annoyed with me, because I didn't specify no cheese- even though it didn't even mention any on the menu listing. I realized that even though it is their fault for adding items on a wrap that are never mentioned in the menu, I still need to be more specific when ordering. I need to say absolutely nothing with dairy or egg, or meat whatsoever. Then when they bring it out, they can't be annoyed with me, because I covered all the bases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I have found so far that the problem always seems to lie with ordering food at a non vegan place.
On Friday, I was at a place with my work staff for a holiday lunch. On the menu they had a hummus wrap with seasonal grilled veggies and a side of fruit. (thats exactly what it said) When I ordered, I specified that I would like no mayo on the wrap and no butter on the veggies. When it came out on my plate it had cheese in the wrap.
Dur.
She was annoyed with me, because I didn't specify no cheese- even though it didn't even mention any on the menu listing. I realized that even though it is their fault for adding items on a wrap that are never mentioned in the menu, I still need to be more specific when ordering. I need to say absolutely nothing with dairy or egg, or meat whatsoever. Then when they bring it out, they can't be annoyed with me, because I covered all the bases.
This is a really good point. What I do would depend on whose fault it was. If I ask for no cheese and it comes out with cheese on, I'll sent it back. If I assumed something was vegan, or forgot to ask, I'd just not eat it but still pay and remember for next time. Usually I tell the waiter I am vegan, and so I don't eat any eggs, dairy or meat, and ask if they can check for me that what I have ordered is suitable/or tell me if what I have ordered is suitable. I never get complaints, and it stops mistakes being made by me.

I don't really worry about wasting food. I'm not going to pay for something I can't eat because someone else made a mistake, or eat something I don't agree with eating because someone else made a mistake.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
tbh i think at this point i would just eat it. but in a few years when my feelings for all animal products will be the same as for meat now i would send it back or let a friend eat parts i can't eat (if its possible) so its not wasted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

This is a really good point. What I do would depend on whose fault it was. If I ask for no cheese and it comes out with cheese on, I'll sent it back. If I assumed something was vegan, or forgot to ask, I'd just not eat it but still pay and remember for next time. Usually I tell the waiter I am vegan, and so I don't eat any eggs, dairy or meat, and ask if they can check for me that what I have ordered is suitable/or tell me if what I have ordered is suitable. I never get complaints, and it stops mistakes being made by me.

I don't really worry about wasting food. I'm not going to pay for something I can't eat because someone else made a mistake, or eat something I don't agree with eating because someone else made a mistake.
That's a big problem I find with restaurants. They don't list a lot of ingredients that come with the food. It's really annoying. I remember a time when most salads didn't come standard with chicken or cheese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
I would always send a dish back if it was non-vegan. I definitely wouldn't scrape off the non-vegan food and eat it. I wouldn't be rude about it to the staff but if I was paying for a meal I would expect it to be how I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

On Friday, I was at a place with my work staff for a holiday lunch. On the menu they had a hummus wrap with seasonal grilled veggies and a side of fruit. (thats exactly what it said) When I ordered, I specified that I would like no mayo on the wrap and no butter on the veggies. When it came out on my plate it had cheese in the wrap.
Dur. She was annoyed with me, because I didn't specify no cheese- even though it didn't even mention any on the menu listing. I realized that even though it is their fault for adding items on a wrap that are never mentioned in the menu, I still need to be more specific when ordering. I need to say absolutely nothing with dairy or egg, or meat whatsoever. Then when they bring it out, they can't be annoyed with me, because I covered all the bases.
Houmous and cheese isn't exactly a normal combination, I wouldn't have thought to ask if that wrap contained cheese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I would always send a dish back if it was non-vegan. I definitely wouldn't scrape off the non-vegan food and eat it. I wouldn't be rude about it to the staff but if I was paying for a meal I would expect it to be how I want it.

Houmous and cheese isn't exactly a normal combination, I wouldn't have thought to ask if that wrap contained cheese.
^This. No way I would "pick" off things like cheese or meat.

Also agree with the hummus/cheese combo. I actually got a little nausous just reading about the combination.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,587 Posts
I for sure do not eat the the non vegan food when it mistakingly ends up on my plate.

cheese on the beans, ask for another order without cheese and make sure the beans are not made with lard

egg in pad thai, order another dish bc pad thai usually has egg and/or is made with egg noodles.

ive been wanting to ask for a reduced price when ordering an item without cheese. its common to be charged more when adding cheese, so i think we should be charged less when we order an item that regularly has cheese w/o cheese.
i haven't tried this yet, has anyone else?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

If they actually had the audacity to put it on the bill, I would leave no tip, deduct the amount of that dish (I wouldn't pay for it) leave note, and walk out. If they tried to stop me, it would depend on how much time I had.
If they accidentally mess up something on your order once and fix it right away, you think you don't have to pay for it? Does that mean if you order it wrong and they remake it, you pay twice? And you would stiff the server, even if it was a manager decision to not remove something from the bill? Wow. You sound very entitled.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I'd tell them I'm vegan and can't or to be a little easier I'd just say I'm allergic. Yeah that's a lie, but at least they're more likely to understand.
To me, that's disrespectful to those who have allergies. When you say you have allergies when you don't, the kitchen takes numerous steps to make sure nothing contaminates. It takes longer to prepare something, hence makes others wait longer for their food. If people are always playing the allergy card, kitchens are going to get less strict about allergy contamination, and assume it's another fake allergy. Or a server who had another customer who was allergic to whatever will say "Yeah, this dish is safe, another customer of mine had it." It's dangerous to those with allergies, so it's not a good idea. It's dangerous and you're risking the lives of others.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

If they accidentally mess up something on your order once and fix it right away, you think you don't have to pay for it? And you would stiff the server, even if it was a manager decision to not remove something from the bill? Wow. You sound very entitled.
i think it sounds right. she said that if they tell her that nobody will take it home and it would be thrown out, she would take it with her to give a non vegan. since they messed it up and it would be garbage anyways, there is no way she should pay for it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i think it sounds right. she said that if they tell her that nobody will take it home and it would be thrown out, she would take it with her to give a non vegan. since they messed it up and it would be garbage anyways, there is no way she should pay for it
It doesn't matter if it will go in the trash or not, if you didn't pay for it, it is not yours unless they give it to you. You can always ask "If you're just going to toss it, mind if I just take it home to someone who will eat it at no charge?" You can't assume it's yours.
 
1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Top