VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I started going vegetarian back in December of 2005, when I was 18. I have never enjoyed eating meat and always found it quite repulsive. Well, in May or June of 2006 I started eating it again, and have found it difficult to stop. I'm also 6.5 months pregnant and living with a carnivore.

We're used to microwaved canned food and frozen dinners, so I don't know much about cooking or actually making meals. That said, where to start? Our meals usually consist of pogo's with potatoes or veggies, things like alphaghetti or craft dinner, or chicken strips/nuggets. Help?!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there,

You're come to the right place! The people around here are very helpful. Nothing will help you more in your vegetarian quest than learning to cook. When I was your age, I didn't know how to cook either and lived off of frozen pre-made foods and lots of toast! I'm 26 now and I cook most of my family's meals.

I learned to cook primarily by watching the Food Network, mostly from Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals. It's very helpful to actually watch someone cooking, you get so much more than you do from just reading a recipe.

One of my favorite, easy vegetarian dinners is Sloppy Joes. All you need is a bag of frozen vegetarian "ground beef" crumbles, an onion, a can of tomato paste, and a packet of Sloppy Joe seasoning. Follow the directions on the packet, pile on some hamburger buns and you have a very quick and easy vegetarian meal. I like my open-faced with Provolone cheese. Yum!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Oh wow, that sounds like the kind of diet I ate before going veg. Not so good.
You need fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates etc!!

I keep a vegan food blog, it's at http://pamelasfoodandstuff.blogspot.com. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. I'm happy to share recipes if you have any you'd like.

I found a really big help to me was to purchase a couple of vegetarian cookbooks and start making recipes that looked good. Sarah Kramer has written three of them that are pretty good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I figured I would start out with Rice. I do have a few good cookbooks, but when you don't know what to expect it can be intimidating. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats! I started going veg in February of '03, when I was 18. I finally stopped eating meat in November of '05. I find the best thing to do is just DON'T PUT MEAT IN YOUR MOUTH! No matter how hard you crave it, just fill up on vegetarian food. After a while I found I don't even crave it anymore, and even the smell of meat cooking almost make me want to throw up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol Thanks. I was that way about it when I first started, but then ended up pregnant and surrounded by meat-eating people, and going on a long 6 hour drive where the most convenient thing was Fast Food. I started to crave it, and remember all the good things my dad cooks when we're camping out there.

But now I am overwhelmed with guilt, and remembering how much a toll meat plays on my hormones. Pregnancy hormones and the added hormones of meat = very moody girl!

So here I am.. plus I feel it will inspire me to learn how to cook! So many benefits..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts