VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know of published research showing the health effects of an all-vegan diet for dogs? I have only found one to date:

An experimental meat-free diet maintained haematological characteristics in sprint-racing sled dogs.

Clinical Trial Brown WY, et al. Br J Nutr. 2009.

This study compared the physiology of Siberian huskies who were fed a chicken-based diet and those who were fed a vegan diet while both groups engaged in sprint racing. They found that both groups were in excellent condition, when assessed by a veterinarian.

Another study found that dogs have adapted to be able to digest carbs, in particular grains, just fine in their evolutionary history. But it doesn't specifically study all-vegan diets.

I am looking for more research (not anecdotes) showing the health effects of vegan diets for dogs. I've been feeding my dog a mostly vegan diet as I transition him off of his meat-based diet that he had during his rescue group days. I'm not 100% certain that an all-vegan diet will be healthy for him, since there is only one study I've found to support it. I also don't want to only give anecdotes to other people who never share research to support any anti-vegan-dog diet claims.

Thank you for anything you can share!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not up on the science, but I think dogs are omnivores and so should be fine on plants.

I knew a schnauzer that would eat the broccoli on her plate before touching the chicken!

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Hi, does anyone know of published research showing the health effects of an all-vegan diet for dogs? I have only found one to date:

An experimental meat-free diet maintained haematological characteristics in sprint-racing sled dogs.

Clinical Trial Brown WY, et al. Br J Nutr. 2009.

This study compared the physiology of Siberian huskies who were fed a chicken-based diet and those who were fed a vegan diet while both groups engaged in sprint racing. They found that both groups were in excellent condition, when assessed by a veterinarian.

Another study found that dogs have adapted to be able to digest carbs, in particular grains, just fine in their evolutionary history. But it doesn't specifically study all-vegan diets.

I am looking for more research (not anecdotes) showing the health effects of vegan diets for dogs. I've been feeding my dog a mostly vegan diet as I transition him off of his meat-based diet that he had during his rescue group days. I'm not 100% certain that an all-vegan diet will be healthy for him, since there is only one study I've found to support it. I also don't want to only give anecdotes to other people who never share research to support any anti-vegan-dog diet claims.

Thank you for anything you can share!

Hi seachants,

The American Veterinary Medical Association has only published one article on vegetarian foods for dogs:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.247.4.385

A vegan diet for a dog should not be modeled after vegan diets for humans. The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) sets nutrient profile standards for dogs and cats: https://www.aafco.org/Portals/0/Sit...osed_Revisions_to_AAFCO_Nutrient_Profiles.pdf .

Pet foods that are formulated to meet these nutrition standards can bear this AAFCO label:

Pet foods that have actually been fed and nutritionally-tested for animals, and that meet the AAFCO's nutrition and quality standards based on these tests, can bear this label:

For example, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula adult dog food is formulated to meet the adult dog nutritional profile standards of the AAFCO (see statement on right-hand side of label). This dog food does not bear the AAFCO label indicating nutritional formulation for puppies or pregnant/lactating dogs.

Reactions: Mr. H.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts