VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have some leftover rice in the fridge waiting on me to do something with it, and I've really been wanting to try a vegan fried rice. But I just looked through recipes at vegweb, and none of them called out to me since most have veggies that aren't on hand right now.

I do have tofu, and one onion, but that's it. Anybody know a simple/plain recipe?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a recipe for thai fried rice but you probably wouldn't have the ingredients.

If you have recd curry paste that is the best though

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I pretty much just heat up the good ole wok, and throw what I have in there. Some frozen veggies, tofu, rice, and stir fry or soy sauce.

You can never go wrong by going in the freezer and cupboard.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree with Muzicfan- I usually just sautee the veggies in come oil, throw in the rice, add some soy sauce (*but not too much*) and let it get brown. you could add some seasonings to it too if you wish like garlic or onion powder.

I have a question though- fried rice from the chinese store used to have ts own distinct wonderfully delicious taste- what was it?? was it the type of oil they used? the same with lo mein- I always wondered what kind of noodles they used and what they seasoned it with because it was just so...good lol.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomaito

I have a question though- fried rice from the chinese store used to have ts own distinct wonderfully delicious taste- what was it?? was it the type of oil they used? the same with lo mein- I always wondered what kind of noodles they used and what they seasoned it with because it was just so...good lol.
The flavor you're refering to is what the Chinese call "wok hey". It's the result of cooking food in a well-seasoned wok over very high heat. You can use all the same oils and seasonings, but if you don't have a wok (more importantly a wok that is seasoned and used often), it's just not going to taste quite the same.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I love to make fried rice!! Once upon a time I made it with various meats and with egg, but I like it just as much without them.

These are the ingredients I use; you can use them all or pick and choose:

soy sauce

hoisin sauce or kecap manis (this is the secret, in my opinion)

garlic (fresh, if possible, or powder)

onions (sauteed)

mushrooms (sauteed)

carrots (shredded)

cabbage (shredded)

mung bean sprouts

water chestnuts

bamboo shoots

sesame oil (just a dash)

cayenne pepper (LOTS -- the other secret, for me)

ginger (fresh, or powder -- not too much)

snow peas and/or regular canned peas

corn and/or baby corn

salt and pepper (of course)

Those are the basics, and then I'll throw in any other veggies I have on hand that sound good, e.g. broccoli, spinach, whatever. A dash of spicy peanut sauce also tastes good; I'm also going to try just throwing some whole peanuts in there.

Fried rice is a GREAT way to use leftovers. According to my (Filipina) step-mom, that the point of it. Oh, and if you want a "meaty" taste to it, you can throw in some shredded vegan Bocas or "chicken" patties.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
tofu, onion, soy sauce, and rice.... sounds like good makings there, kittay. I also throw whatever else I can find. Sometimes it's frozen veggies and other times, it's half-cans of whatever looks good. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If you have sesame oil, a dash of that on top of whatever other oil you use somehow makes it taste better. Otherwise, I agree with everything stated above.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions ya'll!

So last night I finally got around to trying it...ideas here were starting to sound just like a stir fry to me, but I had to keep it simple with just the rice and onion cooked in oil with some spices. I went a little seedy trying to add more flavours, and tried sesame and caraway with it too. Oh, and I added nutritional yeast out of curiosity which wasn't a bad idea at all.

Then I promptly went shopping later and stocked up on water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and veggies both canned and frozen. I plan on trying it out again soon.

I bet peanut oil would be nice too, not that I have that or sesame on my paws anyway, but it's a thought. Hmmn...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts