VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have transitioned myself down to just a diet of all plant based food plus milk recently.
I am now trying to figure out how to transition away from milk which seems to be a somewhat difficult step as it is such a good source of calcium and protein.
I like to keep things as simple as possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts that might be helpful for me on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Milk is not a particularly good source of calcium because it is too rich a source of protein. The protein, which is far more than you need, acidifies the blood. Acidic blood dissolves some of the calcium from your bones to maintain its balance. The amount of calcium you need is actually higher if you drink milk.

It is super easy to replace milk. Back when I first went vegan, it was soy milk or rice milk or nothing. Now, there are all kinds of milk-like beverages available in the stores. Many of the nut milks are very tasty. Experiment to find out what you like.

If you eat a balanced vegan diet, and you are not actually starving, you are getting enough protein. It is the one nutrient that everyone tends to worry about, and it is the one we least need to worry about. And if you are not drinking milk, you don't need as much calcium as the "standard American diet" says you do.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
As I understand it: it's generally best to get nutrients from foods rather than from supplements. But I'm currently taking one tablet (Citracal) which supplies about 20% of my calcium RDA each day; it also has vitamin D.

Some foods (such as plant milks and breakfast cereals) are fortified with calcium, but you'll need to check the label. I don't know if you like dark green leafy vegetables such as kale and collards, but as vegetables go, they're a good source of calcium (as well as other minerals and vitamins). Spinach also has calcium, but I've heard/read that it isn't well-absorbed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have transitioned myself down to just a diet of all plant based food plus milk recently.
I am now trying to figure out how to transition away from milk which seems to be a somewhat difficult step as it is such a good source of calcium and protein.
I like to keep things as simple as possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts that might be helpful for me on this?
New Vegan Merchandise on sale
The Spiritual Life Of A Vegan | Bonfire 🍉🥬🍎🍎🥒🍏🫒🫑🫐🍄🥭🌽

·
Registered
9 Posts
Milk is not a particularly good source of calcium because it is too rich a source of protein. The protein, which is far more than you need, acidifies the blood. Acidic blood dissolves some of the calcium from your bones to maintain its balance. The amount of calcium you need is actually higher if you drink milk.

It is super easy to replace milk. Back when I first went vegan, it was soy milk or rice milk or nothing. Now, there are all kinds of milk-like beverages available in the stores. Many of the nut milks are very tasty. Experiment to find out what you like.

If you eat a balanced vegan diet, and you are not actually starving, you are getting enough protein. It is the one nutrient that everyone tends to worry about, and it is the one we least need to worry about. And if you are not drinking milk, you don't need as much calcium as the "standard American diet" says you do.
New 2022 Vegan Merchandise on sale 10% off
The Spiritual Life Of A Vegan | Bonfire 🌽🥭🍄🫐🫑🫒🥦🍏🥬🍉🥒🍊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts