VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if wrong place, but god, why is it so hard to find a place where you can rent and have animals.

I'm in a flat at the moment and was told to leave it a bit till I ask about bringing in my companion cats. The dog was agree on let and now I've been here nearly 2 months I'd like to bring my cats in, especially as otherwise I have to walk 2 miles every 2 days to check on them since they're at my dads place.

But by the sounds of it it's unlikely. And I might have to look for another place for when my 12 months lease runs out. It's so frustrating because I need a place with a garden to as it's more suitable for the dog, but when I was first looking most places were 'no pets', and a lot that had pets negotiable would only allow one. It's ridiculous. UK is suppose to be a nation of 'animal lovers' yet it's so hard. Even at the sanctuary I go to a lot of the reasons for animals being brought there is that people are moving to a place where they're not allowed animals (which I would never do, my animals are my children and you don't rehome children, do you?).

/end rant

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Yeah, I know it's tough! I just finished finding place where we can keep my kitteh. Luckily, the landlord of the building we currently live in, made an exception to the rule for us. My Samwise is currently with a nanny and I miss him like crazy.

Good luck!

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I've never had problems. Even if landlords say 'no pets' in the ad, they are usually fine once you explain that your pets are housetrained, not puppies or kittens but older and well behaved, and don't scratch the furniture. You might also have to pay a higher deposit, or agree to get the carpets professionally cleaned when you leave.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my tenancy agreement I will have to get the carpets cleaned. When I've phoned up rental agents they always say no even with pets negotiable

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. And no, I would move whatever it took to keep my animals. So sad that people give them up. They rent to all kinds of people but discriminate against pets. The town I live in now is actually much more pet friendly then when I moved to this area 15 years ago. Two newer large complexes take dogs and cats. Mine only takes cats. They said one but indicated they would take a two if an additional deposit was given. I'm willing to pay the entire carpet replacement upfront as a deposit. I've never lost a dime of deposit due to my cats.

I'm so sorry you are stuck with the lease and unable to have your pets.

A number of years ago I bought a vintage cookbook that had some recipes cut out of the paper folded in the pages. On the back were apartment adds from a coastal town here in Northern California. Many of the adds stated "no children" or "one child OK" That would be so illegal now. I don't remember if there was a date on the papers. It was probably at least the 60's. I hope some day discrimination against pets is just illegal.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
That really sucks. I'm surprised that in your place dogs are okay but cats aren't. When I've been looking for apartments, cats are usually more acceptable than dogs to the landlords. I think because of noise and the fact that dog-owners might not pick up the poop. I don't really have any advice, and any experience I have with apartments is in the US. All I can do is wish you luck!

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know whether cats definitely aren't but I got the 'wreck the carpet line'...it might be because I already have one companion animal. Either way I will need to find somewhere eventually where it's for definite I can have 1 dog and three cats.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I'm trying to find my dad an apartment right now, he's moving with a 70lb dog and a kitty, it's a nightmare. I'm right there with ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.