VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, as a vegetarian transitioning to vegan, I'm taking it slow and taking things out of my diet. I no longer drink milk but I'm slowly letting go of cheese. My fiance and I have decided that we'll no longer eat cheese that has rennet in it, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good resource for determining which cheeses have rennet and which do not. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks skarrlett! I try to buy vegan cheeses while at home. But I'm going on a trip shortly, and as a vegetarian transitioning to vegan, i wont eat cheese with rennet, but if presented with very few choices on the road, I'd like to be educated on which types of cheese do not use rennet.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tearhsong2, great to see you here! Thanks for the links, that's exactly what I was looking for. Have a great day, and take care!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
doesn't galexy foods make botha vegetarain and vegan soy cheese. make sure you get the vetgan one (it's purple) rather than the vegetarian one 9green),

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
(some) organic chees has vegetable rennet and it says so on the cheese.

In England some cheese is made with a "synthetic" rennet.

I forgot the name, but it is geneticly engeneerd.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My friend is a student of chesse technology, surly the most exciting course in the world i know :p and she tells me that practically all mass produced chesse are used using the gentically modified microbial enzyme, that we consider to be vegetarian rennet.

According to her they splice the animal dna that has the chessemaking properties onto this fungus Dna and grow the rennet from there.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"My friend is a student of chesse technology, surly the most exciting course in the world i know :p and she tells me that practically all mass produced chesse are used using the gentically modified microbial enzyme, that we consider to be vegetarian rennet."

If by mass-produced you mean "american cheese-food slices" or "Velveeta" -- then artificial rennets are used. "Real" cheeses such as real Swiss, real cheddar, real blue cheeze, gorgonzola, parmesan, roqueforte, muenster, etc, all use real rennet, made from real baby cows of nursing age.

Artificial rennets have long been in use and genetic engeneering is not necessary to produce them. I believe the necessary enzymes are simply derived from chemically modified soy proteins.

Kosher cheeses use either no rennet, or artificial rennet not made from slaughtered animals. Since kosher laws forbid the mixing of milk products and "flesh" products, slaughter products, in the same food item. If a cheese is labeled "kosher" you can be assured that their are no slaughter products in it. If it is a kind of cheese that requires rennet, the rennet used will be artificial rennet derived from non-animal sources.

"It all depends on the brand of the cheese, rather than the type of cheese. "

Certain types of cheese require either real or artificial rennet, and others don't. Simple unaged cheeses such as cottage cheese, cream cheese, and farmer cheese, that are largely just coagulated milk (ie, casein) don't require rennet. Aged cheeses such as swiss or muenster, require some kind of rennet.

Rennet is generally used in substantial quantities in cheesemaking. It isn't like preservatives or colors where just tiny amounts are used. You need a nice handful of rennet for few gallons of cheese.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm Irish so our dairy industry would be very different, I dare say we might even be cutting edge when it comes to milk

We wouldn't have kosher though.It was my understanding that soft chesses can be made without rennet, as you have mentioned are kosher cheese's soft?

I wasn't actually refering to processed "cheese" ~shudder~, i was thinking more along the lines of cheedar,edam etc that claim to be made with vegetarian rennet.Many chesse's over here carry the vegetarian society crest, which usually certifies that the product is also GMO free but we are told that it is neccessary to use GM methods to produce the vegetarian rennet used here and in the uk.

I thought of them as mass produced when compared to traditional farmhouse chesse's which I am sure are made with traditional ingredients.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
rennet made from non-genetically modified micro-organisms predates, by many years, rennets made from genetically modified microorganisms. I suspect the genetically modified microorganims have genes from animals stuck into them, the genes, derived from bovines, for making juvenile bovine stomach enzymes, thus making the micro-organisms part micro-organism and part animal. I wouldn't consider that to be vegan, but I would consider the older micro-organism rennets to be vegan.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser...et/Rennet.html

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser...0coagulant.htm

note "microbial rennet" http://www.danlac.com/store/default.asp?category=1#19

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Note that acc to the site i cite above, mozzarella and ricotta do not need rennet. These are simple soft curds. Milk curdled with citric acid, lemon juice, whatever. Hard cheeses genearlly require rennet of some sort.

Note that make these simple curds from milk has a lot of similarities to making tofu from soy milk. You can make tofu by curdling soy milk with lemon juice.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It is clear what the micro-organism being grown is, but it is not clear what the culture medium for "microbial rennet" is. It may be milk, carbohydrates, onions, dead fish, surgically removed tonsils. who knows

·
Registered
603 Posts
Somebody may have already mentioned this, but I've found that goat's cheese (feta, ricotta etc) does not contain rennet. You can also buy vegetarian cheese as well as soy cheese. The Vegetarian cheese tastes even better than normal cheddar, far more creamier. Some brands of parmesan are ok. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Euphoria, I don't know if that is necessarily true. I have seen many recipes for feta and mozzarella that call for rennet and don't specify to use a vegetable based variety. Always a good idea to read the label and if eating out, caveat emptor.

"Lipolysis was studied during ripening of traditional Feta cheese produced in two small dairies, A and B. The cheeses were made from a thermized mixture of ewes'/goats' milk by using yoghurt as starter and artisanal rennet from lambs' and kids' abomasa (cheese A) or mixed artisanal rennet with calf rennet (cheese B)."

·
Registered
885 Posts
I actually have heard that Kraft parmesean is rennet free. But I don't buy kraft so I guess its not a biggie ;-)

Wow, this post is so old, its from 3 years ago and the OP is banned now....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts