VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to discuss their religionous aspect(s)of becoming veggie or vegan? I don't like to label a religion on myself, but I tell people I am an agnostic with buddhist tendencies(it's the easiest way to explain it) that's why I quit eating meat. Buddhism teaches compassion for all beings from a invisible algae to humans.
Thnks all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I myself am a recovering Catholic who loves studying all religions and philosophies without aligning with any one.

I became veggie simply because I believed it was right. For me it was an intellectual decision not a religious one.

That said I love to lay two quotes on Jewish & Christian people when they tell me that "god gave us animals to eat according to the bible. I quote the Old Testament, which tells them some day we will "beat swords into plowshares" and "the lion will lay down with the lamb." I use this to argue that while god understands that they are omnivores today that in gods ideal world we would all be veg*n and not kill his creations!

While this may not exactly be what was intended, I use them effectively to argue a trend towards compassion. Besides I love to se the befuddled looks on their little faces!

And then for those who are Christian I point out that Jesus used wine and bread in place of body and blood. He could have had anything for his last meal being "the son of god!" but he chose to eat Vegan. More confused looks!!!

P.S. I can never spell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.