VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't gone to chuch in a very long time. I kind of miss going and being with folks of similar beliefs and values from time to time. I really don't want to go back to my old church. So, I'm in search of a new one. I've also been thinking of trying another religion's practices. This looks interesting to me and goes along with my beliefs and values. I don't want it to feel cult-like though. Before I go through the deal of visiting an acual church, I was wondering what people's view are on Seventh Day Adventist's?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Cult:

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

I see ALL organized religion this way...it all scares me.

For me religion = cult = superstition.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Belief-o-matic .......... cute!

I followed my heart and found a church (Non-Denominational Christian) that really is the opposite of everything I've always hated in organized religion.

I kept religion out of my life for many, many years because of the B.S. and corruption that seems to run rampant in today's churches. I hate when people vilify religion as a whole (like I used to), because there are some really great churches out there that are awesomely loving, compassionate and GOOD. You do, however, have to make it a life journey to find a comfortable place in God's family where you can really be free and joyful.

I have really been happier, more secure in who I am and what I believe and made a wonderful, wonderful circle of friends since finding my church 2 years ago.

You gotta be careful though......greedy and power-hungry humans will use even God - the most perfect thing in the world - to further their own agenda.

Just seek with your heart and you'll truly feel what is right for you.

(I know a couple of SDA's, but they are really old and I never had much in common with them. I visited their church a couple of times and found it to be pretty darn boring and typical..... I like the vegetarian aspect of the religion, however, and each church has it's own personality, so I'd try visiting the ones near you and see what you think.)

Lots of luck!!!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)

3. Liberal Quakers (87%)

4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)

5. Nontheist (72%)

6. Theravada Buddhism (71%)

7. Neo-Pagan (66%)

8. Taoism (53%)

9. Bahá'Ã* Faith (52%)

10. New Age (51%)

After taking the quiz...these were my top 10

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I just believe He is......

just as most people believe in something (at least eventually) in their lives.

Some people believe God doesn't exist and some people believe in the teachings of Buddha or Mohammad or Darwin or Jesus.....

I believe Jesus.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Have you tried the belief-o-matic yet? It's a quiz that helps you choose what religion to be.
I couldn't even get past the 1st question. I guess I'm to the point that I'm still trying to sort it all out. Up until 6 years ago I always thought I had it all exactly figured out. But then I started questioning why I felt that way. That's part of the reason I'm searching.....I think my soul will know when I found the answer even if the answer is there isn't any Gods or Goddesses.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ruthie -

If you're seeking Christian organizations, I believe several sects in the Catholic church are very progressive and open-minded. I'm currently pen-palling with some wonderful Dominican nuns who are in jail in Colorado right now for breaking into an army base and disarming several offensive nuclear missiles.

The Voices in the Wilderness organization is also founded by Catholics, I think (though not sure). They do a lot of work to help end sanctions in Iraq and help the people there.

As for Seventh Day Adventis, they're all vegetarian, I believe, but I'm unfamiliar with the tenets of their denomination.

I personally consider myself spiritual but not religious, and I reject any sort of indoctrination, so I don't personally go to any churches or temples or mosques or anything, but I do find religion interesting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW...The church I was raised in is a Friend Church (Quaker) and I always felt that was my home. Back years and years ago I went to a down-home Baptist church for a while with one of my friends. That was the most uplifting because it was energized and the singing was heart felt. When I was younger I went to Catholic church with one of my friends on and off up through age 10 or so. That really didn't do anything for me. And then in the summer I would go to the Church on the Moutain with Grandma and Grandpa...not sure what that church was but I remember it had alot of wood grain paneling. I loved going there because I was so close to Grandma. It had a huge grouping of stairs outside that you had to climb just to get in. And the people were always so friendly. I used to go in the back behind their house in W.Va and sing hymns to the chickens and pigs while Grandpa fed them (when I was very very young). That's where I actually get my spiritual roots from.

I've been exposed to many. Maybe that's why I confused now. Or maybe it's that feeling I had going to church with Grandma that I crave. Oh, how I wish she was here now so I could tell her how much of a positive impact she's had on my life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been told that not all Seventh Day Adventists are vegetarian. You can be a meat-eating SDA! But, I've been to ABC stores (run by SDA) and all the food is vegetarian/vegan, which is cool.

I was raised Catholic, but I haven't gone to church in over 4 years. If I were to join a religious group it would be Unitarian. I really like how community-focused they are. Catholicism is supposed to be that way too, but all of the Catholic churches I have attended have been very pushy about receiving money for their parish or for their religious organizations. I know they aren't all like that but my view has just been a bit soured.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Music girl, if God is perfect, why did he/she create imperfect beings? Do you believe in hell?

And have you ever read The Age of Reason?

And could god make a rock so heavy that he himself couldn't lift it?

(Just kidding...that's Carlin's joke.)

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
yeah, not all SDAs are vegetarians, but the denomination as a whole encourages vegetarianism because it's how God originally intended man to be (see Genesis 1). It's a minor point though; they don't really preach animal rights though, just God's intent for mankind.

Adventists take the Bible waaay to literally for me... but I have enjoyed their services. I've been to 3 different SDA churches, 2 were all african-american and 1 was all white... the all were nice, but I was more comfortable in the black churches (though I'm white) as they seemed more accepting and friendly. all of them had a vegetarian meal after service.

... However, the most animal-friendly religion, imo, is Jainism.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

Before I go through the deal of visiting an actual church, I was wondering what people's view are on Seventh Day Adventist's?

Thanks
I have a fairly positive view of SDAs. I have a friend who was brought up Baptist, but then was repulsed by what she saw in that church. So she joined the SDAs, and felt they were truer to the religion she was brought up in than the Baptists are now.

Also, the SDAs in Nashville are inter-racial, or so I am told.

It's true that not all SDAs are practicing vegetarians, but SDA teachings strongly promote vegetarianism. One of their leading theologians is/was a woman, Ellen White.

As an ex-Catholic, I feel I have to discourage you from joining the Catholic church. It has its plusses, but it is very patriarchal, anti-woman and authoritarian. There are no women priests, but there are plenty of pedophile priests. The RCC ordains and retains pedophile men but would never even think of ordaining a woman. The RCC has a history of corruption, which is what led to the Protestant Reformation. They've reformed themselves somewhat since then, but probably not enough.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had read about Jainism when I started reading about veg*nism and religion. I was really interested in it. I wonder if they have get togethers? I don't believe I've ever seen a church specifically for people following Jainism beliefs. I was drawn to Hinduism to as I read. Those seem along the lines of how I feel. Here's a secret..don't tell anyone. Always in the back of my mind, I've always wished I was a saint...you know, one that when you're walking through the woods the animals want to come to you and people are in aww when you walk in the room and you can heal sick people. Crazy, huh? I know it will never happen, but I wish there was some way to obtain sainthood. That would be my goal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Belief-O-Matic results:

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)

2. Eastern Orthodox (90%)

3. Roman Catholic (90%)

4. Seventh Day Adventist (87%)

5. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (83%)

6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (65%)

7. Liberal Quakers (54%)

8. Hinduism (48%)

9. Orthodox Judaism (48%)

10. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (47%)

11. Bahá'Ã* Faith (46%)

12. Islam (45%)

13. Unitarian Universalism (40%)

14. Jehovah's Witness (40%)

15. Sikhism (40%)

16. Jainism (36%)

17. Theravada Buddhism (30%)

18. Mahayana Buddhism (29%)

19. Reform Judaism (28%)

20. Neo-Pagan (22%)

21. Taoism (22%)

22. New Age (19%)

23. Secular Humanism (19%)

24. Nontheist (13%)

25. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (12%)

26. Scientology (11%)

27. New Thought (7%)

FWIW, I'm Catholic. I think I'm not 100% in line with Catholicism because my views on creation are a little more liberal than Belief-O-Matic's Catholic answer. And I lined up with Orthodox Quakers because social justice and nonviolence are important to me. What's funny is that I was 87% in line with the SDA faith. They're far to "fundamentalist" to be in line with my thinking.

Anyhow, it was interesting!

Peace,

Maggie

1 - 20 of 103 Posts