VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this wont degrade into a poop throwing contest.

I found it interesting that there was a religion poll on this forum. That suggest several things.

1). Religion, in general, is important to the people here.

2). The results clearly show the people who don't eat meat tend to reject religious belief (Lots of arguments as to what constitutes a religious belief).

I find that a fascinating fact. Especially since I read somewhere that the ancient Hebrews were vegetarians. The argument I read said that they didn't start eating meat until after the Babylonian captivity. Granted, the truth of that statement can be argued till dooms day. But, the article made a good argument that early humans didn't eat meat.

I really want to hear from the Atheist and agnostic group since you folks are by far the largest group. Does your world view, you thoughts on religion, influence your decision not to eat meat?

I'll throw you some background on me. I consider myself a Christian with a heavy Buddhist influence. I was a philosophy and religion major in college. I personally see spirituality in everything but, I respect your right to figure out your own way. I do not intend to try and sway you to what I think or believe. My purpose is to read your thoughts, see through your eyes. Perhaps I have missed some sliver of reality and you can provide that.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Religion (or lack thereof), had nothing to do with my choice to become a vegetarian.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I found it interesting that there was a religion poll on this forum. That suggest several things.

2). The results clearly show the people who don't eat meat tend to reject religious belief (Lots of arguments as to what constitutes a religious belief).
The poll only reflects the views of the poll's respondents. It's a stretch to say that there is anything conclusive or meaningful in the results.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I do my own research, and find what makes sense for me. Atheism was the result of my personal research into religion, and veganism came from a part of my own personal ethical code. The two aren't particularly connected.
^
Same here for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I will say that over the years I have noticed that most Southern Christians will eat meat at every meal. That's not a judgement, just an observation. Nearly all of the vegetarians that I have known through the years were just not very "religious" people. After seeing the poll it kind of made me wonder.

As a Philosophy student I first rejected Christianity then found it to be beautiful. I stumbled upon Buddhism when a buddy of mine's 10 year old little girl died of brain cancer. I studied human suffering and found it's causes and solutions. So, I'm kind of a hybrid. Mix that with retired guy turned construction worker and there you go. What they tell you is the truth is generally a lie intended for their own purposes. The truth you must find on your own. Searching without personal bias and keeping an open mind is the hard part.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm honestly surprised that more Christians (I know more Christians than any other religious group) aren't vegetarian. It would seem to me that being vegetarian would fit quite well with the philosophy.

I am not religious, but spiritual, and I meditate with a Zen group on Sunday mornings. I found Buddhism long after I found vegetarianism. I'm also surprised that more Buddhists aren't veg. They're supposed to be, but most come up with excuses why it isn't really necessary.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, I was still a Christian when I became a vegetarian. Although, to be quite honest, I wasn't really thinking about my beliefs at the time. I never thought for one second about the notions that "God gave us dominance over animals" or "The only reason God gave us animals is so we can eat them". The only thing that was on my mind were all those animals getting killed just so I won't go hungry.

Basically, my beliefs, or lack thereof, really have nothing to do with my decision. Although, next time someone does make the "God gave us animals..." notion, I could say, "Dude, I'm an atheist. Pick a better argument."

Also, I am a member of atheistforums.org and the majority of them are meat-eaters. At least from what I've read in their posts.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

Hopefully this wont degrade into a poop throwing contest.

I find that a fascinating fact. Especially since I read somewhere that the ancient Hebrews were vegetarians. The argument I read said that they didn't start eating meat until after the Babylonian captivity. Granted, the truth of that statement can be argued till dooms day. But, the article made a good argument that early humans didn't eat meat.

I really want to hear from the Atheist and agnostic group since you folks are by far the largest group. Does your world view, you thoughts on religion, influence your decision not to eat meat?
I disagree with your first conclusion. The fact that there's a religion poll only proves that religion is important to one person here - the person who started the poll. It really doesn't imply that religion is important to anyone else. In fact, only 125 people have answered the poll so far. There are currently over 50,000 registered VB members, and over 500 browsing VB as I write this. In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small number of VBers who answered the poll, though I suppose that's a pretty good response for a VB poll. And of those who did respond, I'm sure I'm not the only one who really doesn't care about religion, but is enough of a VB addict to respond to just about any poll that's posted, without sticking around to read the whole thread that comes with it.

I've never heard of any historical sources claiming that the ancient Hebrews were veg. I know about the Pythagoreans, but those are the only ancient veggies I know about. Of course, Adam and Eve were vegan in Genesis, but I don't consider that any sort of reliable historic source.

As for the correlation between atheism and veg*nism, I don't think it's a coincidence, but I also don't think it's a cause-effect relationship. Like others who have answered in this thread already, my reasons for becoming an atheist and a vegetarian were unrelated to each other. But I think that having an open mind to the possibility of rejecting societal norms played a part in both decisions. I think that's the shared personality trait of most atheists and veg*ns that led them down those paths, and why there's so much overlap between the two groups.

--Fromper

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I've never heard of any historical sources claiming that the ancient Hebrews were veg. I know about the Pythagoreans, but those are the only ancient veggies I know about. Of course, Adam and Eve were vegan in Genesis, but I don't consider that any sort of reliable historic source.
--Fromper
I don't recall any ancient "Hebrew" vegetarianism, either. There's surprisingly little legitimate research done in this area. Colin Spencer's "Vegetarianism" is the most thorough work I've seen on the history of vegetarianism and he covers religious groups. It's not great, but worth a read.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I was agnostic theist my whole life, though I didn't realize it. My mom is a Christian and I was baptized as a Catholic, but I never went to church, I just knew basic teachings about God, but I had never picked up a bible in my life. I became vegan in May, and not long after I've started leaning more towards agnostic atheist, and I've started admitting this to friends. I think my belief in one or the other is not linked, but I do think that being vegan has made me realize my religious beliefs, because being vegan is different than others, and so is agnosticism, so I think I've just been less afraid to have different beliefs from others as a result of going vegan

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have a lot of atheist friends and have frequented atheist forums in the past. There does appear to be a correlation between being an atheist and being a vegetarian - I would estimate that 10% of my atheist friends are either vegetarian, or do not consume much meat or fish, which is higher than the national average for vegetarians (approx 5%) Most atheists are rational thinkers - a lot of vegetarians are too. Once you learn critical thinking skills you can apply them to other subjects, so becoming an atheist may lead you to question your other beliefs, and vice versa. So I would tentatively suggest that there is a slight connection. (I remember having a similar discussion on an atheist forum when we discovered that there were quite a few vegetarians on the boards.)

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Cave paintings from the earliest times have shown men hunting.
I suspect that there were vegetarian's throughout all of time, but I also suspect that in the very early years the word vegetarian equated to "Bad Hunter"

I am naturally basing this on evidence found in those paintings on not some article written to promote or ridicule vegetarian's. I also will refrain from using the Bible, although it was clear that after Adam and Eve, (who by all best guesses were vegetarian), man was a meat eater.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I'm honestly surprised that more Christians (I know more Christians than any other religious group) aren't vegetarian. It would seem to me that being vegetarian would fit quite well with the philosophy.

I am not religious, but spiritual, and I meditate with a Zen group on Sunday mornings. I found Buddhism long after I found vegetarianism. I'm also surprised that more Buddhists aren't veg. They're supposed to be, but most come up with excuses why it isn't really necessary.
I'm the opposite: I'm actually surprised there are so many Christian veg*ns. Many Christians, I think, tend to take the line that animals were put on the planet by their god for man's use, including for eating.

·
I don't eat animals.
60 Posts
I was atheist long before I was vegetarian. Maybe it does go hand in hand to the extent that if a person is willing to analyze and question one set of social norms (religion) that they would go on to question other socially accepted norms (eating animals.)
That said, there are religions that are pro-vegetarian (Seventh Day Adventist Christians, many Latter Day Saints,) so the results of the poll just may reflect that atheists may be more likely to respond... maybe due to being in the minority and seeking out confirmation that there are others who are similar. Just putting that out there from my point of view and not from any research on the subject.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Religion poll fatigue may be in play. People who have been here awhile may stop answering polls about their beliefs when they see threads going the same way over and over again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally, being vegetarian, made me question the way the church community I was a part of viewed animals or the earth. In my experience with Christianity, for whatever reason, they don't see a need to be vegetarian. A lot of Christians I know believe animals were sent here to be eaten, even though that's a contradiction from Adam and Eve. According to the Bible, God gave humans the permission to eat animals after the ark landed. Most don't realize it was permission, not a requirement..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I'm the opposite: I'm actually surprised there are so many Christian veg*ns. Many Christians, I think, tend to take the line that animals were put on the planet by their god for man's use, including for eating.
Pure laziness on their part. Actually digging into the Bible instead of toeing the party (church) line seems to be too much effort for most Christians these days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.