VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that is what it is called...ok, so I got sick. really sick. the whole family did. and I couldn't pump or bf. a little too out of it. so my mum gave the baby soy formula. she was just throwing it back up..and then she got constipated really bad. i put her on nutramigen per the ped, but she won't take it. she even seems to have some "colic" type symptoms in the evening, though the ped says she is a bit young for that too. I want to start bfing her again since that was what least hurt her and her system. I bf her for two weeks and then was out for one. I am still leaking, but not a flow..so I know there is hope. does anyone know a good way to jump start this and get a good flow going? I am off to the store to get fenugreek and am hoping that helps. I know to just get her to latch on as often as possible. I wasn't making enough before to make her happy (my kids are big eaters) so, I want to make sure I have enough to keep this going. even an overabundance is ok bc I will just give it to my 13mth old. has anyone used the prescription meds to help? would I be asking my doc or the ped about that? Thanks for any help. I want to do right by my babies!

oh, and has anyone done infant massage for colic type symptoms?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web/NewMexico.html here is a list of la leche chapters near you. Also the main site is really helpful. I think breastfeeding as much as you can will get your supply up. If you are worried she isn't gaining enough weight have her weighed at the doc sometimes it seems like they aren't getting enough when they are. Hang in there I know it can be difficult I breastfeed both my kids.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I hear that pumping before latching can help get the flow moving again. But I have no experience in this, just what I've read lately (I will have experience in a few months if all goes well!!) Good luck to you, I know that you can do it!!!! :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
just KEEP AT IT. Don't do the formula... you're body will pick up. Try some motherease tea.... keep well hydrated and eat well. The more you attempt, let her suck... the more your body will react.

My ds weaned in March and it took until midsummer for me to stop leaking every now and then!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar issues. I was very sick when I had ds #3 just 5 months ago. My milk did not come in. I tried Fenugreek. It did help with milk supply but gave ds horrible gas and made colic even worse. I didn't realize it was causing the issue until I decided to go off of it after my milk was established. Now I've heard many other moms who've said fenugreek does cause alot of gas. The drugs that DR will prescribe have side effects of depression and what mom needs that!! What I have found that works the best at maintaining a healthy milk supply is Alfalfa. I get it in tablet form and it has many other healing benefits but also helps with milk supply. The other thing that I found that helps temporarily is eating lots of green leafy vegetables (lettuce and spinich) and also alfalfa sprouts. Also best way to kick in the milk supply is to have a "nursing marathon". Find someone to watch other kid(s) and snuggle in bed and nurse around the clock as often as baby wants to eat. Trust your body it will happen pretty quickly. Drink LOTS of water. This is what I had to do to get my ds off of supplementing and solely on breastmilk. Two websites that have been very helpful for me are kellymom,com and drjacknewman,com

Good luck!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not getting too much...this baby is hypoallergenic too. she is on the alimentum now, so unless i can figure out everything that is giving her problems, she will be staying on that. sux.
but, I can't have a baby screaming for hours straight, and cry while trying to eat and throwing it right back up, bc she is having issues with something I am eating. Should have known this would happen after #1 was like this..just didn't expect the allergies to be different, I guess...

Thanks for all the help though! it is appreciated!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

Soon, you'll be past this rough part.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Keep at it, like the other Moms said. It WILL get better and if you cut out the artificial baby milk supplimentation, the colic and upset may very well go away as well. The suggestion to have a "nursing marathon" is also a great one... it really DOES work though you may feel like the baby isn't getting anything for a while - she really is, just keep giving her every opportunity to nurse. You CAN make "enough" though some babies don't act as 'satisfied' as others and more frequent nursing may be required until things settle down and get more routine for both of you.

Pumping in between can help too. And drink lots of water. Lots.

The prescription meds DO work, and not everyone suffers depression from them, however fenugreek works well too and is natural - it DOES take quite a bit of the stuff and a couple days to see a difference though, and you may find you smell like... maple syrup...don't ask me why but it's a little weird, I will warn you.

Bottom line, your body is amazing and absolutely CAN make what is needed to nourish that baby.

Check out the forums (they're sorta hard to find from the main page) on www.breastfeeding.com ... A GREAT board (like the people here) lots of super-friendly, experienced Moms and everything you'd ever need to know about breastfeeding.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
885 Posts
You're a wonderful mum, the babies are so lucky to have someone looking after them so carefully! :) Mumma knows best, you know what is best for your babies, so cut yourself some slack :) They are gonna be great!! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you haven't already, rent an electric breast pump. It requires no skill at all, which is good is you are at all stressed. Then, pump in between every feeding and more, if you can.

Breastmilk is created on a supply and demand production schedule. If you started out nursing five babies, then your body will produce enough milk for five babies. You can increase your milk supply, but you need to nurse or pump more often (and obviously keep up with fluids, as well). I admire your perseverance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.